What's new

Better Speed to Xbox and PS3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hogan773

Occasional Visitor
Hi there - pls help me

I am running R7000 for a couple years and I have generally been satisfied with it. Got it during the Walmart pricing mistake on BF (2015?) for 90 bucks. Yay!

I use stock firmware

Have PS3 for awhile in basement and this Xmas got Xbox One S for kids too. Now I see that it takes all day for Xbox to load a newly purchased game and so my project is to speed up connection (increase download speed)

I have had Linksys E3000 in the basement on Tomato acting as Client Bridge for the PS3 for a few years and it is OK but now flakey.

I just bought Zyxel Powerline Adapters thinking that I could get an "Ethernet" link straight to the Xbox and PS3 but I now see that the upstairs and basement are on different sides of the circuit breaker panel so they don't work together. So need to return that!

Now thinking of making upgraded Wireless Bridge and calling it a day. SHOULD I GET A SECOND R7000 or maybe R6400 and is that best for Netgear to Netgear client bridge? Thinking that it might be better than mixing Asus and Netgear. And then I hook Cat6 cables from that second Netgear onto the PS3 and Xbox. I assume this will be much faster than using E3000 and old Tomato software for same purpose and worth the $100 or whatever to buy a second router.

Or "upgrade" my current R7000 (to what?) and take current R7000 downstairs to use as the wireless bridge?

Help? Thanks

Last edited:
Hi there - pls help me

I am running R7000 for a couple years and I have generally been satisfied with it. Got it during the Walmart pricing mistake on BF (2015?) for 90 bucks. Yay!

I use stock firmware

Have PS3 for awhile in basement and this Xmas got Xbox One S for kids too. Now I see that it takes all day for Xbox to load a game and so my project is to speed up connection.

I have had Linksys E3000 in the basement on Tomato acting as Client Bridge for the PS3 for a few years and it is OK but now flakey.

I just bought Zyxel Powerline Adapters thinking that I could get an "Ethernet" link straight to the Xbox and PS3 but I now see that the upstairs and basement are on different sides of the circuit breaker panel so they don't work together. So need to return that!

Now thinking of making upgraded Wireless Bridge and calling it a day. SHOULD I GET A SECOND R7000 or maybe R6400 and is that best for Netgear to Netgear client bridge? Thinking that it might be better than mixing Asus and Netgear. And then I hook Cat6 cables from that second Netgear onto the PS3 and Xbox. I assume this will be much faster than using E3000 and old Tomato software for same purpose and worth the $100 or whatever to buy a second router.

Or "upgrade" my current R7000 (to what?) and take current R7000 downstairs to use as the wireless bridge?

Help? Thanks

What's the issue here? Taking too long to connect to the servers upon starting the game or slow loading the game itself?
If the former, the issue could be that the servers are just slow to authenticate and if the latter, there isn't much you can do since the built in hard drive is pathetically slow. Unless you get an external SSD.
I have an issue with Black Ops 3 connecting to the server even though I play the local campaign. Hardwiring it to Ethernet doesn't help so it has nothing to do with WiFi or the internet in general. The connection to the servers do not use a whole lot of bandwidth anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the issue here? Taking too long to connect to the servers upon starting the game or slow loading the game itself?
If the former, the issue could be that the servers are just slow to authenticate and if the latter, there isn't much you can do since the built in hard drive is pathetically slow. Unless you get an external SSD.
I have an issue with Black Ops 3 connecting to the server even though I play the local campaign. Hardwiring it to Ethernet doesn't help so it has nothing to do with WiFi or the internet in general. The connection to the servers do not use a whole lot of bandwidth anyway.

No sorry, I mean when my kids get a new game or something it takes hours to download. I was hoping for better speed at the location...more throughput.

I guess one could say is it worth it to spend another $100 for a second router just so my kids' games can load in 3 hours instead of 5......and that is perhaps a fair question for me to ask myself :) You know how it gets when the mind just wants to "upgrade" things and then you step back and wonder how important it is!

But the question is how to get better throughput to the Xbox

No sorry, I mean when my kids get a new game or something it takes hours to download. I was hoping for better speed at the location...more throughput.

I guess one could say is it worth it to spend another $100 for a second router just so my kids' games can load in 3 hours instead of 5......and that is perhaps a fair question for me to ask myself :) You know how it gets when the mind just wants to "upgrade" things and then you step back and wonder how important it is!

But the question is how to get better throughput to the Xbox

You can't. It has nothing to do with your speeds. I find it is the download server.
I can start out at 80Mbps and it will scale down to 10Mbps and fluctuate up and down. Wired or wireless doesn't matter. I've seen it peak at about 110Mbps on occasion but it tends to cruise at around 20-40Mbps in most cases.
And I tend to download the games when there is no other device using the network with my 250Mbps service.

You haven't mentioned anything about your Internet speed. That plays just as big a role in downloading from MS, on an Xbox.

You can't. It has nothing to do with your speeds. I find it is the download server.
I can start out at 80Mbps and it will scale down to 10Mbps and fluctuate up and down. Wired or wireless doesn't matter. I've seen it peak at about 110Mbps on occasion but it tends to cruise at around 20-40Mbps in most cases.
And I tend to download the games when there is no other device using the network with my 250Mbps service.

Ok that is helpful.....so the constraint is on the Xbox servers side

@ netwrks....I am on Comcast cable and my raw (wired) internet speed is 125 mbps. I find that the games download as slow as 3-4 mbps but sometimes they get up to 25 mbps. They fluctuate just as Elisha stated. On Christmas day it took like 7 hours to load up one of their first games.

My plan was to speed up the pipe by bringing in powerline networking just to see if that increased it. I could theoretically run a Cat6 cable but that will end up being a weekend project and result in some hole in my nice finished hardwood floor and probably some unforeseen issue where I will regret ever trying, and all of that not worth it just to speed a download on Xbox.

So I will go play around but I am thinking that doing a client bridge with my old E3000 Linksys probably wouldn't do anything better than the current wifi connection that the Xbox is getting itself (assume the wifi capability of the Xbox One S is better than a Linksys E3000) which is why I then wondered whether an AC to AC bridge would be what I want, hence my question about getting a second R7000 or something else

For certain, MS's download Server's certainly play a role (the amount of use'rs / bandwidth being used on the MS side). Using game systems on wireless is not a good idea, it adds latency to the games, and, also, the download of games. (these games sizes are usually a couple of gig at any rate, then there's also the MS xbox updates).So, if you have a questionable wireless connection to the Xbox, it is going to take forever.
I would try Powerline to see if that improves game playing / downloading. Also, on the router side, if you are running any resource hogging settings like QoS, or traffic manager, disable them.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online