What's new

Bizarre 2.4GHz Guest Network Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zim

Regular Contributor
On the Asus AXE16000 router I am having a weird issue. While I think it may a hardware issue and I may need to RMA the router, thought I'd post the question here in case someone has other ideas. Someone was having a similar issue on a different router last year, but a solution for it was not posted.

I'm running Merlin firmware 3004.388.8_2. To troubleshoot, I factory reset the router holding down the WPS button and flashed the default Asus firmware: 3.0.0.4.388_24374. The issue is happening on both firmware BTW, and in completely fresh setup (no scripts, no fancy routing etc).

With all guest networks off, I am able to connect to the 2.4GHz band, 5GHz-1, 5GHz-2 and 6GHz.
When I turn on the guest network and setup Guest Network 1/2/3 with no authentication, I am able to connect to Guest Network 1/2/3 and 2.4GHz.
When I turn on the authentication, then I can not connect to Guest Network 1/2/3 AND the 2.4GHz band! Connection fails, it can't authenticate.
The correct password is copy/pasted (have tried it a 100 times and with different passwords).
Oddly, the devices that were previously authenticated using the same password connect to Guest Network 1/2/3, but it won't allow any new devices to connect.

All other Guest Networks (apart from 2.4GHz 1/2/3) are working fine.

Is this really a radio/hardware issue? Should I be RMAing the router?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!