What's new

Blocking some devices to connect to the network or accessing the internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

marvago

New Around Here
Hi everyone. I'm having a challenge to accomplish one simple thing (seems simple at least).
I have the following in my network:
1. AT&T router, from internet provider. The Wifi on this router is disabled.
2. Asus Rapture GT-AX11000 - This is the main router which provides the IPs to the clients. This router is connected to the AT&T router.
3. NighthawkNighthawk X6 R7900 - I use this router as an access point. It is connected to the Asus Rapture
4. NighthawkNighthawk X6 R8000 - I use this router as an access point. It is connected to the Asus Rapture

What I would like to do:
Prevent some devices to connect to the internet. Some examples of what I was looking at to accomplish that and the problems with it.
- Prevent the device to connect to the router:
- I tried to set on the two access points to not allow new clients to connect, blocking the new clients. The new clients are listed as blocked but those can still access the network and internet. Not sure why it is happening this way, the feature is not really working. I cannot block specific MAC address because iPhones and Samsung phones uses random MAC addresses​
- I tried to see if the Asus Rapture have that same feature, to block new clients but it does not have. I can block only by MAC address and only for Wifi connection. The phones connected to the APs show on the Asus Rapture as wired connection.​

How can I accomplish this? Is there a way to separate the traffic, selecting specific devices to have internet access and any other will go to a different route (without internet)? I tried to separate devices on the Asus Rapture, using VPN option but it didn't work.

Thank you

To prevent wireless connection to the router, just don't apply SSID credentials to the device.

Can't you toggle off the device's random MAC function?

For connected devices, did you try this?
1726180369416.png

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!