What's new

BorgBackup + Rsync

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mr_planet

New Around Here
Hello everybody,

I have a RT-AX86U Pro with latest Merlin and I've started to enjoy and explore all the functionalities.

Has anyone experimented with and implemented a solution based on the 3-2-1 backup strategy?
In particular, I would like to avoid buying additional hardware and use the capabilities of this router and the flexibility of the firmware to perform the following actions:

- Connect disks (probably 3, in RAID 5) to the router
- Install a software solution such as borgbackup
- Back up my devices to disks connected to the router on a periodic basis
- Perform encrypted cloud backup of this data via rclone overnight

I have seen that there are already solutions for rclone, however I have doubts about the feasibility of installing borgbackup (maybe via SSH is feasible though) and especially for managing the 3 disks in RAID5.

P.S: I know that the USB connection could potentially be a bottleneck.

Any recommendations?
I hope so. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
A real NAS is definitely worth the minimal investment.

Yes, it makes sense. It was more out of curiosity, but it could actually be too much workload for a not very powerful hardware. Do you have any suggestions for a NAS with a good quality/price ratio? Otherwise I could build something custom based on some boards.

I have always used Synology — I currently have two (2) DS718+ at home plus two more and a DS918+ at remotes sites that I manage. The DS423 without drives is under $400 US, and it supports up to four (4) drives.

Maybe an N100 Mini PC based homebrew NAS? Especially if you have any spare HW around

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!