What's new

Bottlenecking with slow clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

node88

New Around Here
I am planning to slowly upgrade to AC. I bought an AC68u, AC66r, and a linksys re6500. I am planning to use the AC68 as a router and the 66 and 6500 as wireless bridges. I was wondering if the slower speed of the 6500 will bottle neck the connection to the 66r. I am asking this because I have read that some routers will have the wireless speeds capped to that of the slowed connected client. Is this true? If it is, I'd rather exhange the 6500 for another 66u.

Should not be a problem and would not create any bottleneck re other ac clients (those connected to the router, since if you really mean "bridge" the wireless on the 6500 and 66U will be used only to connect to the router and the bridges cannot service other wireless clients).

If you want to extend your wireless, you can set up the 66U as a Repeater instead, and you should also know that Asus has never really fixed what they call "Media Bridge " mode. If you're bridging wirelessly, I think repeater is actually a more complete solution. Don't know about the 6500, but the fact it's only a 1200ac device will not slow down your other ac devices at all.

Should not be a problem and would not create any bottleneck re other ac clients (those connected to the router, since if you really mean "bridge" the wireless on the 6500 and 66U will be used only to connect to the router and the bridges cannot service other wireless clients).

If you want to extend your wireless, you can set up the 66U as a Repeater instead, and you should also know that Asus has never really fixed what they call "Media Bridge " mode. If you're bridging wirelessly, I think repeater is actually a more complete solution. Don't know about the 6500, but the fact it's only a 1200ac device will not slow down your other ac devices at all.

thanks. I understand the differences among a bridge, ap, and an extender. Why do you say the repeater mode will work better? Does it work as a wireless bridge also when configured that way? I am going to hook up 4 ethernet devices to it so they can all connect wirelessy to the 68. It is taking the place of my Dlink dap-1522. But thanks for letting me know that the 6500 won't bottleneck the 66u.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online