What's new

Bufferbloat on GS-AX3000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Monetize8

New Around Here
I've been having pretty noticeable bufferbloat on cable internet for at least the past 2 weeks when the network is under load, it could've been going on for a bit longer than that but its only been particularly noticeable when playing online games like Warzone or Hunt Showdown. Ping is totally fine, but the in-game diagnostics all show high amounts of intermittent packet loss when 2 devices are streaming movies while I'm playing online, and it is extremely noticeable while playing.

I recently switched to a gigabit download line a few months ago and didnt have any issues up until a few weeks ago. I should have absolutely no issues with my line being saturated with 3 devices pulling bandwidth. I think I've ruled out any of my equipment as being the issue, I've pinged my router's IP from my PC that is connected via ethernet and from my laptop via WiFi while the network is under load and I drop 0/100 packets but when pinging google.com 10-15% of packets are dropped. I tested this multiple times and get the same result. I have also used the bufferbloat tool on waveform.com and have strangely received varying results depending on the browser I use for the test. When performing the test on Edge/Chrome I score very poorly on the test, which is much closer to reality, but when performing the test on Firefox I score very high on the bufferbloat test. I've done each multiple times so I know it wasnt an anomaly. I'm not sure why this is, but something similar happens when I do the Cloudflare speedtest as well, it basically tells me nothing is wrong with my connection when under load when that's not been my experience at all lol. The first image is from the Edge bufferbloat test and the second is from Firefox. not sure why this is, just thought I'd include it in case anyone has any idea why.

I've plugged my ethernet cord into just the modem by itself and the problem persists, and I've looked at the data that my modem is reporting and it all looks to be within spec for that modem (Arris CM8200A). I've messed with my router settings, I've tried turning off every QoS/Priority option, I've tried turning on every QoS/Priority option, and I've reset the router to factory settings and nothing has seemed to help and my router is on the latest ASUS firmware available for it 3.0.0.4.388.23012. Unfortunately my router does not seem compatible with any of the currently available 3rd party firmware that include SQM functionality as well, something I was not aware of when I purchased it 2 years ago. youd think for a $200 "GAMING" router ASUS would include that functionality, guess not.

When I called my ISP they basically said everything looked ok on their end except for a bit of "noise" and they had me unplug/replug the coax and power cable from the modem and sent me on my way. This didnt work and the vibe that I got was that this is all they could do. not sure what to do here as i feel like i've tried fixing it every way I can by myself past purchasing another router with SQM features, but I've already spent a lot of money on this one so obviously id prefer to not spend more on a whole new router to replace it, but I will if I have to.

1724619505000.png
1724619575591.png
1724619518822.png
1724619533176.png

You may need a better router for gaming because this GS-AX3000 is not only entry-level hardware, but also sort of abandoned device with last two firmware releases from Aug 2021 and Apr 2023. It's a ROG model only for marketing purposes, in reality RT-AX58U inside. For better performance on Gigabit ISP line strip down the configuration to the bare minimum, stop everything Trend Micro related (withdraw the data sharing agreement), manage your network load on a device level and try your games again. Don't look at Waveform website, test for real life improvements.

You may need a better router for gaming because this GS-AX3000 is not only entry-level hardware, but also sort of abandoned device with last two firmware releases from Aug 2021 and Apr 2023. It's a ROG model only for marketing purposes, in reality RT-AX58U inside. For better performance on Gigabit ISP line strip down the configuration to the bare minimum, stop everything Trend Micro related (withdraw the data sharing agreement), manage your network load on a device level and try your games again. Don't look at Waveform website, test for real life improvements.
On a device level as in limiting bandwidth per device?

On a device level as in limiting bandwidth per device?

No, this will kill the router's performance completely. I mean restrict eventual torrents and downloads speed as % of your total bandwidth, on the devices. Streaming movies shouldn't be an issue because even UHD stream is under 50Mbps. Your ISP connection type is important, slower fiber is better for gaming than faster cable. You have to make sure nothing is incompatible with NAT acceleration, the router relies heavily on it. QoS, Limiters, Traffic Analyzer Statistic, AiProtection - all will increase the latency. Any additional load as active VPN, USB storage, many wireless clients (if playing wirelessly) will have negative impact on overall performance. Play wired only if possible to eliminate Wi-Fi latency.

No, this will kill the router's performance completely. I mean restrict eventual torrents and downloads speed as % of your total bandwidth, on the devices. Streaming movies shouldn't be an issue because even UHD stream is under 50Mbps. Your ISP connection type is important, slower fiber is better for gaming than faster cable. You have to make sure nothing is incompatible with NAT acceleration, the router relies heavily on it. QoS, Limiters, Traffic Analyzer Statistic, AiProtection - all will increase the latency. Any additional load as active VPN, USB storage, many wireless clients (if playing wirelessly) will have negative impact on overall performance. Play wired only if possible to eliminate Wi-Fi latency.
I definitely agree that streaming video should not be an issue on my connection. My PC is the only wired connection in my house, the rest is WiFi. Do you have a recommendation for a reasonably priced WiFi 6 router that can do all that by default?

Your starting point is RT-AX86U Pro. Newer and much faster hardware, Asuswrt 5.0 compatible, Asuswrt-Merlin supported, popular around and with expected longer support from Asus. Gaming routers are mostly marketing, don't pay extra for RGB lights and red color decorative accents.

Don't put everything on one test site...

Waveform's site has been handy - but there's been reported issues...

Check Cloudflare's Speed Test - I've found it to be a better test...

Your starting point is RT-AX86U Pro. Newer and much faster hardware, Asuswrt 5.0 compatible, Asuswrt-Merlin supported, popular around and with expected longer support from Asus. Gaming routers are mostly marketing, don't pay extra for RGB lights and red color decorative accents.
Went and picked up the RT-AX86U Pro today, set it up and installed merlin on it and enabled CAKE QoS. It has definitely made a noticeable improvement, but packet loss is still very noticeable while gaming, though not nearly as frequent. I'd say it cut the issue in half, and the bufferbloat test seems to reflect this as well. Any ideas on how I can lower it further? These are the current CAKE settings.
NVIDIA_Share_Mwv3gBGh0k.png
NVIDIA_Share_J5mFyy44j5.png

Any ideas on how I can lower it further?

CakeQoS is NAT acceleration incompatible and works well for ISP lines under 300-350Mbps. Use Adaptive QoS instead.

Switch to Manual Bandwidth setting, use ~90% of your ISP line speed values. Automatic doesn't work in most cases. Test with no QoS as well.

Last edited:
CakeQoS is NAT acceleration incompatible and works well for ISP lines under 300-350Mbps. Use Adaptive QoS instead.

Switch to Manual Bandwidth setting, use ~90% of your ISP line speed values. Automatic doesn't work in most cases. Test with no QoS as well.
I tested with no QoS after I setup the router and got very similar results to the GS-AX3000, this was reflected in-game as well. When switching to Adaptive QoS and manual bandwidth my download speed slows to an absolute crawl for some reason and I experience similar amounts of packet loss in-game as when I was using Cake. Bufferbloat test appears pretty similar latency-wise too.
NVIDIA_Share_eSkCtaNk4k.png
NVIDIA_Share_sEeVqM9ADz.png

Something is misconfigured on your router. And stop using this Waveform website.

Something is misconfigured on your router. And stop using this Waveform website.
Could you please elaborate? I'm not sure how it could be misconfigured since the only setting I changed from the stock merlin firmware was the QoS setting. I am open to any and all suggestions. Here are the settings I am using for Adaptive QoS, I'm more than happy to be wrong.

Attachments

• NVIDIA_Share_yFLxqPLaaF.png
    NVIDIA_Share_yFLxqPLaaF.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 20
So you have 900Mbps upload and 30Mbps download?
After inputting the correct values for Adaptive QoS it seems to have made a noticeable improvement, but I'm still experiencing noticeable packet loss as well. How can I lower it further?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!