What's new

Buy second RT-N66U for coverage issue or add / replace with R7000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What will best solve my wireless coverage issues?

• Buy second RT-N66U

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Buy R7000 and replace RT-N66U

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy R7000 and augment with RT-N66U

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else! (please comment!)

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

intendedacceleration

New Around Here
Hello everyone, quick question for you. I've got a 30% off 24 hour code from newegg for the R7000 if I go that way, so need some fast advice! :D

I've got a 2600sq ft, 3 story townhome that has a TON of wireless issues (especially on the 2.4 band). Right now I've got WRT54GL for B/G clients, and a RT-N66U running N only, as an AP only (have an EdgeRouter lite for my router). My wireless coverage on my top and bottom floors are less than stellar (read: useless), so I'd like to address that. I have mostly N clients (a good mix of 2.4 and 5), and only one AC client (my Macbook Pro) currently.

Option 1: Buy a second RT-N66U
Option 2: Buy a R7000 with my 30% off code, and replace the RT-N66U
Option 3: Buy R7000 and keep the RT-N66U (in this case, any harm running N and AC on the R7000 to help with my N coverage issues?)
Option 4: Something else

Appreciate the recommendations!

While 30% off sounds impressive, the actual dollars you'll actually pay matter more.

Given the facts you've given above though, Option 3 would be ideal.

Do a search though of issues the R7000 is having though before you commit.

Well my coupon was running out at midnight last night, so I pulled the trigger on the R7000. Should make for an interesting comparison. I think since I won't be using any of the advanced features (just using as an AP) I think I SHOULD avoid most of the major bugs, but the proof will be in the packets. :D

Thanks!

Well my coupon was running out at midnight last night, so I pulled the trigger on the R7000. Should make for an interesting comparison. I think since I won't be using any of the advanced features (just using as an AP) I think I SHOULD avoid most of the major bugs, but the proof will be in the packets. :D

Thanks!

You'll find a lot less bugs with the R7000 if you use the dd-wrt firmware. Been using it for some time now, very stable and robust, especially the latest versions. I'd advise you to try dd-wrt firmware at some point, either after the latest Netgear firmware (if you must *smile*), or first. Either way, the R7000 performs very well using dd-wrt firmware.

Update: Forgot to mention that Kong's dd-wrt "STD NEWD" versions work best for me...that's the version with the new wireless drivers, and without added torrent support.

Last edited:

Thanks!

There's a very interesting bug in the stock Netgear firmware (doesn't exist in DD-WRT) that causes wireless devices to show up in the WIRED "attached devices" table after about 48 hours of runtime. When this happens, you will lose connectivity between wired and wireless devices, specifically wireless printers.

People have found that it exists even in AP mode, so you very well may encounter it even with the routing mode turned off.

Last edited: