What's new

Buy vs Build?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davidhayes

New Around Here
Hi,
It's time to replace my ageing WHS box with something a littlemore reliable and performant.
Requirements (in no real order)
1. Run Squeeze Center
2. At least 4 drives, probably RAID 1 ideally I'd like the possibility to expand to 8 but I'm flexible here
3. Able to backup to an external USB drive
4. Fast read/write speeds 80mb/s + would be great
5. Reasonably easy to look after, I work in IT and I'm happy in *nux/Windows etc and happy to build a machine but I don't want to spend my life tweaking this box
6. Gigabit Ethernet (obviously?)
7. Low power consumption (compared to running a full power PC)
8. Quiet as possible
9. Torrent Client
I'm looking at the Synology DS411+ http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS411+/index.php but at ~$700+tax (CAD) I figure I should be able to build something better maybe using FreeNAS

Does anybody have any experience building a NAS rather thany buying one?
Thanks in advance for your advice
Dave

For decent speeds 80+ it will cost you if you go down the vendor route!
You can build a decent system using a i3, 2Gb of Ram, 2 decent Intel Pro1000/PT/MT/GT nics and a 30E graphics card that will give you better performance and more room for expansion.

Depends if you rather build or buy from Vendor.
In my case what I did was
Bought a i5, 8GB of ram, cheap GFX card, Asus systemeboard, 3x pro1000 nics,2610SA controller, already had 10TB of storage mix of Samsung F3/ and Hitachi Disks and installed VMware ESXi 4.1 on it, running a freenas box/ and windows home server a amahi home server, a unbuntu mail server, untangle firewall box, windows 2008 DC, and a web server on it, and a torrent download station.

Did all of this for under 700Euro's.
The WHS write performance over lan from main system with bonded nics(ESX host nics are both active/active + jumbo frames on switch and main system and ESX host is between 95-110mbps on average...

To get the same level of performance from a vendor based solution you will pay for it so be prepared to spend a good chunk of money on it.

I wanted to do several things on my systems so this was the best flexible solution for me, and loving it all since I set it all up no issues either.

Attachments

• gen-perf.jpg
    gen-perf.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 561
really, it all comes down to:

do you spend extra cash to save (potential) time

(setup/tweaking/optimizing/fixing/etc)

or do you spend the extra time to save (potential) cash

only you can answer that question.