What's new

Buying advice / Asus RT-AC68U worth buying?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

axlwinter

New Around Here
Hi all,

I am considering buying the Asus RT-AC68U but I am not sure whether it makes sense for me. I "only" have a 100Mbit/s internet connection and I get decent wifi internet transfer speeds from my existing, 802.11n, cheap, TP-Link TL-MR3420 router. I usually get around 60-70Mbit/s when I download something from the Internet which is not great, considering I get 95Mbit/s with a wired connection, but it is something I have been content with considering the price of upgrading the router.

However, what I would like to do is boost the home network wifi transfer speeds. I have about 9 devices which are 802.11n standard (laptops, desktop PCs, SmartTVs, tablets, media center, smartphones etc) on my home network at the moment and I rarely get more than 60Mbit/s when doing local wifi transfers when in my opinion this should be a lot faster, especially considering the router is very close to the devices and with a clear line of sight. The devices I have are all fairly new (2012-2013 devices) so I think its a case of the router, especially when I get faster speeds downloading from the internet if I use a wired connection to the router!

Is it likely that a high end router such as Asus RT-AC68U will improve my local network wifi transfer speeds, such as doing large file transfers even though I only have 802.11n devices?

I should add that my existing router has, almost as if fate, started dropping the connection for the last two days. I have now rebooted it three times in two days. I had almost never had to reboot it during the year I have used it so I think the router might know its days are up :)

Thanks for your help