What's new

Buying Advice Asus RT-N66U or Linksys EA4500

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shimi

New Around Here
Asus RT-N66U or Linksys EA4500

I am looking to upgrade my Linksys WRT54G router, I will be using the new router to stream Netflix videos to my TV, connect desktop computer to router (wired), connect my laptop (wireless), connect another desktop (wireless) and connect my NAS, which router would you recommend?

Thank you,
Shimi

Asus RT-N66U or Linksys EA4500

I am looking to upgrade my Linksys WRT54G router, I will be using the new router to stream Netflix videos to my TV, connect desktop computer to router (wired), connect my laptop (wireless), connect another desktop (wireless) and connect my NAS, which router would you recommend?

Thank you,
Shimi

I've stuck it out with Cisco since work with Corporate & Enterprise Networking still taking over the LINKSYS company a few years ago has been struggle for them. I had just purchased the EA4500 yesterday to replace my E4200V1 because that recently started to overheat and drop connection demons just start awaking like no-end in site.

So this is how I have it see my sign below you see what I have here. I haven't seen much of any issues with the New EA4500 WiFi Router. It's the fastest CPU with the largest Memory Pool. I've now notice that Netflix HD is showing up an where it didn't show up prior on my SONY Network Media Player 24p / 1080p. All my disconnection over the LAN, WAN, WLAN and WWAN are gone.

Network here is run extremely hard with HD, download server, caller ID monitoring 24/7, file server, IIS web server too all the nodes both 100mbps and 1000mbps on the LAN side along with 802.11G and 802.11N, Windows 7 Desktops, Windows 7 Laptops, Windows 7 Netbooks and Android Tablets 8x Tablets out of 30x, Android Smartphones on WiFi inhouse, 6x Network Media Players on 802.11N or 100mbps running 1080p @ 24p.

Getting the EA4500 connected to my Digital VOIP & Cable Model Combo didn't take on the first get go. I had to completely disable DVCMC switch off 16-port rack mounted 16-port switch connected to the EA4500. Would be nice if Cisco would add on/off switch to the EA4500.

She's up a couple of hours now no issues I can see.. Since I run several forums for Android Tablets and also run Cisco Connect Express for Android.

I am not fan of ASUS after having issues with one of there netbooks I own here when it had to get repaired by them. They should stick to Motherboards and Computer Systems but no they dabble in Networking and the Web Admin is still non-glitch free. Those who buy the ASUS Networking Routers seem happy with them. But you have other choices too.

If you can buy both routers? Test them for the time-length you can before returning them to the store. Decide for yourself which one you like using and which one is working out for you!

Everyone here going to say yeah get this one and no get this one. There are test done but test for one might not be the same test results for others, because of ideal test conditions and working environments changes daily.

Thank you for the reply, I went ahead and purchased Asus RT-N66U, have had it for two days now, no issues yet.

Thank you for the reply, I went ahead and purchased Asus RT-N66U, have had it for two days now, no issues yet.

That's good everyone going have their favorite, but the EA4500 is really quick.

IIS Web Server accessing on 1000mbps and 100mbps
Downloading over BT is 3.5MBps
Uploading over the Cloud like Dropbox or Box very quick
Speednet Test shows 32MB down and 5MB up (prior E4200V1 30MB down)
802.11g @ 20Mhz single channel shows 1% gain
802.11n @ 40MHz dual channel shows 5% gain
Android Smartphones WiFi very Strong
Android Tablets WiFi very Strong too
Netflix HD and 1080p/24p on SONY Media Produces SMP-100N and B-RAY BD