What's new

Buying New Network Equipment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

E.Cuyler

New Around Here
Hello all, new reader/poster here and I am in over my head for the most part. I am currently using an old DOCSIS 1.x modem and an older router for our network setup and it is just not cutting it for gaming with the Wii.

Charter of course recommends a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem and after comparing the prices between a 2.0 and 3.0, I might as well get the new 3.0

That said, I'm sure my old router needs to be upgraded as well and that is where I'm struggling to decide what to get. I read the guide and tried to follow, but most of this stuff is still out there to me.

I'm looking to keep it simple really. We only use the network for playing on the Wii and for our laptop. We don't have any other devices connected to it and don't plan on adding anything in the forseeable future. With the cost of the modem being about $85 or so, I'm looking to save money on the router if possible.

So really I'm just looking for some recommendations on a relatively easy to setup/maintain wireless router, to be used as stated above. Range is not that big of an issue, we only have a small 2 story 1000sq foot town home. Router and modem are downstairs, but don't think there is much of a signal issue. Thank you for your time.

(EDIT)

We download torrents frequently and I have read that that eats a lot of bandwidth. Not sure if that changes anything or not. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello all, new reader/poster here and I am in over my head for the most part. I am currently using an old DOCSIS 1.x modem and an older router for our network setup and it is just not cutting it for gaming with the Wii.

Charter of course recommends a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem and after comparing the prices between a 2.0 and 3.0, I might as well get the new 3.0

That said, I'm sure my old router needs to be upgraded as well and that is where I'm struggling to decide what to get. I read the guide and tried to follow, but most of this stuff is still out there to me.

I'm looking to keep it simple really. We only use the network for playing on the Wii and for our laptop. We don't have any other devices connected to it and don't plan on adding anything in the forseeable future. With the cost of the modem being about $85 or so, I'm looking to save money on the router if possible.

So really I'm just looking for some recommendations on a relatively easy to setup/maintain wireless router, to be used as stated above. Thank you for your time.

(EDIT)

We download torrents frequently and I have read that that eats a lot of bandwidth. Not sure if that changes anything or not. Thanks.

How much have you set aside for the router? Get your modem from your ISP and rent it!

I would rent, but that's $7 a month wasted, no? Haven't set aside a specific amount yet, just trying to figure out where I stand.

Generally are routers going to be more than the modem? Quality wise at least?

I would rent, but that's $7 a month wasted, no? Haven't set aside a specific amount yet, just trying to figure out where I stand.

Generally are routers going to be more than the modem? Quality wise at least?

$7 sounds better than $10 to me.. Still if that modem goes they'll replace it for free. If you own it you have to pay to replace it on your dime. Rent or own? That's your choice. Best to go rent! WiFi version which I all in-one, WiFi Access Point, Wired Switch, USB ports can get very expensive. A lot of them don't live up to what they're suppose to do. They suppose to give you 20dBm for b,g,n most don't. That's the issue. CPU the faster that is the better it's going to be if you want to stream HD from the internet over WiFi networks. Also more RAM 32MB just not enough along with 64mB. Need 128MB.

Wired version gives you a bit more for your money without the cost of the WiFi of course all you need to add is a Wireless Access Point. But this route is where I am not now.

Basic Home Models
Automatic Setup
WiFi Router
Wired Switch
WiFi Clients
Wired Clients

Business Model
Manual Setup
Beefed up Wired Router more geared for Heavy Duty Enterprise Hardware
Beefed up Manged Switch geared for Heavy Duty Enterprise Hardware
Beefed up WiFi Access Point Heavy Duty Enterprise Hardware TOL HWR
WiFi Clients
Wired Clients

Basic Home Models seem more popular here. To me with heavy usage they don't tend to hold up so well on the WiFi Router. Again tends to last longer if you don't pus the router using Bit torrents.

Best WiFi Routers here seem to be ASUS RT-N66U then CISCO LINKSYS EA4500. CISCO has the EA6500 coming out in Aug that's going to be a bit higher since is now supports draft 802.11ac.

802.11ac = if you plan on using that?
2.4GHz = standard
5GHz = need hardware to support that

Basic Home Model for sure will be what I'm looking for. I've never had issues with a router going down from torrents, so maybe I don't use it as hard as I think. Wireless would be preferred, as thats how the Wii's network is setup.

The ASUS is way out of my price range, I was thinking less than $100.

I've seen this one recommended on here I think?:

Buffalo Technology AirStation High Power N300 Wireless Router & AP WHR-HP-G300N (Black)

No need for AC I don't think, as I don't even know what I would use that for. :)
2.4Ghz is fine, no need for more.

Maybe narrowing it down to these few? More in my ideal price range to be sure.

TL-WR1043ND

or

WNR3500L

or maybe

Linksys E3200

Upon doing even more research (I'm so proud - J/K), I'm wondering if I can save some major cash (since my needs are pretty simple) and buy the Belkin Share Max N300 and flash it with DD-WRT? Seems to be a popular solution for a lot of people.

Upon doing even more research (I'm so proud - J/K), I'm wondering if I can save some major cash (since my needs are pretty simple) and buy the Belkin Share Max N300 and flash it with DD-WRT? Seems to be a popular solution for a lot of people.

TP-LINK model will work but not heavy duty though it looks like it is Do replace the 3dbi 3x SMA ANT with 5dbi 3x instead. DD-WRT will just add some disabled features that it has. But out of the box TP-LINK Engineers gives you a lot for your money. If it just had manage ports feature it would be better. But in all fair set. Now remember it only has 32MB of RAM on 400MHz CPU. Port Buffering is 832KB for the 5x Gig Ports 1x WAN and 4x LAN. The new firmware gives you FTP, Media Server. Features. It has USB 2.0. Price is lower than $69 bucks.

Going DD-WRT is for those that tinker or want to try for something quite non-standard.

KISS

Thanks both of you for responding. Found a good youtube video that didn't make DD-WRT look all that complicated. Leaning toward giving it a shot and if I brick it, at least it was only $27.

Some DOCSIS III modem has built-in single band WiFi as well as LAN ports.
I'd try that first and if it does not cut it for your needs, you can make the modem run in bridge mode and add your own router. I just did that with ASUS RT-N66 which worked well. My ISP supplied the modem but does not charge rent. package deal(Phone, TV, Internet) waived it.

Don't rent a cable modem. That's one of the bigger ripoffs in the cable industry. This is bad advice.

You can get a Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 modem for 80 bucks or so. It will pay for itself in a year.

Or you can rent a similar modem from your cable company and pay for it five times over over a five year period.

In my case, Charter dropped the rental fee so I use their modem.

Hi,
Traditionally dd-wrt or other 3rd party f/w is more for features not for speed. I'd think as a gamer you'd look for stable speed side. Unless something is burnt out in a router most routers can be debricked. It's a matter of economics ie. time is also money. Guy like me who is retired can afford limitless time tinkering. One advantage of being retired. My family router is RT-AC66U, my personal one is commercial grade one for my work. Our local ISP does not allow outside modems even if it is same one they are using. They are tracking modems by it's model and s/n. Service package includes modem. We can not rent or buy our own.

Last edited: