What's new

Cable modem or router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dexgreen

New Around Here
Hi all,

This is a followup to my prior question today ... I have a desktop which is hardwired and a laptop which I need wireless for. My question is: Should I get a cable modem with wireless capability instead of getting both a cable modem and a separate router. The reason for this is that I will only be hardwiring my desktop so why get a wireless with many ports that I will never use.

Yesterday I got a Motorola Extreme Cable Modem Docsis 3.0 (have not opened it yet) and also a Asus AC68R router (also not opened yet). I am thinking of replacing them with a solid cable modem with wireless. I assume that I can simply press a button on the cable modem to disable wireless as I do not like having wireless on all the time.

Bottom line: If I do not care about how good the wireless connection is to my laptop (I only care about the speed on my hardwired desktop), am I better off just buying one device (cable modem with wireless) instead of getting both a router and a cable modem. Any recommendations on the best cable modem with wireless assuming I have a solid computer with Comcast Extreme 105 as my ISP ?

Thanks again,
Derrick

i'd like to think that the ISP would give you a modem/router combo that would have the required NAT performance, but i doubt it. you'll more than likely get better wired performance with dedicated devices

Hi,
What I have seen on modem/router combo, router is less robust, wireless is not dual band, unless you bridge it, you get performance hit with double NAT. My modem has router but I didn't even bother looking at it, I just asked my ISP tech support to download different f/w to put it to bridge mode permanently and I have been using my own router. R7000 with dd-wrt f/w. B4 I used RT-N66U, RT-AC66U, both of them just
worked fine for my family's needs. My priority is stability, I am not shooting for speed demon. Life is short, why hurry? It is nice to be retired comfortably, LOL!

TonyH,

Life is short; why not let the machines hurry? ;)

With the ISP connection you have, I would be opening up the new toys and only if they didn't meet your expectations (doubtful) would I even consider an ISP supplied modem/router combo.

OT;
L&LD, really I myself am slowing down now. Mind is going at 100mph+ but body is going at 60mph, LOL! I am on the wrong side of 70, age wise. Not even a major user of our home network. I am just handy man for it. On other hobbies, I used to do 50wpm on CW in HAM radio, now comfy at 30wpm. I resigned from first chair euphonium section in our community concert band. I am in "Take it easy mode"

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!