What's new

Can I set it up like this?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ranuul

New Around Here
First of all, thanks for a really great website.

Now - I should start with explaining what I currently got.

Our ISP has set up a router that gives us internet access of a speed up to 50/50 Mbit.

Earlier we had a wireless router set up between the router of our ISP and the rest of the network, to also provide wireless access, but it became unstable.

I thought it over for a while and decided to, instead of buying a new wireless router, buy a manageable switch and rearrange the whole network, so that the old router was changed to function as an Access Point and nothing else.

To my surprise, it seemed that our ISP gives each device that connects to the router different subnetmasks, which again means, that there might be trouble communicating with each other.

The manageable switch I bought is a Netgear GS108Tv2.

This is what I consider:
Connecting the Netgear GS108Tv2 directly to the ISP's router and set up the vLAN on the switch, so that all ports with the exception of the router ports is connected to the same vLAN. Secondary I consider setting up the old wireless router to extend the connection, so that it just functions as a AP.

The pro of this, is that I save money by not having to go out and buy a new router, along with permitting each computer to have "direct" access to the internet.

Con: security issues. By connecting each computer directly to the internet, it might be easier to get hacked etc.

This is at least my thought on it.

What do you guys think and have you got any advices?

Thanks in advance. :)

Tell us precisely the brand and model number of the router the ISP gave you.

I think you might be using incorrect terminology. For consumer grade products, a router pretty much always includes a firewall. Usually an ISP only gives you a modem, which is just a media access device. All that a modem does is connect your network (ethernet over twisted-pair cable or wifi) to the ISP network (broadband). Getting a router/firewall from an ISP is usually an optional extra.

Connecting to the internet without a good firewall is financially a poor idea. You'll spend much more money having your computers cleaned of viruses than you would have spent on a router with a firewall. Not to mention the potential risk to your private information which could be used by someone else to cause you even more financial loss.

Most ISPs don't allow you to connect more than one device to their service. This one device can be a firewall/router which will allow multiple devices to connect to the internet.

Every device connected to the internet has to have an IP address. The issue with this is that internet IP addresses are in shortage and are expensive, so unless you have a contract for more than one, it's unlikely you'll get more than one. A router solves the issue of multiple devices on one IP with a technology called Network Address Translation.

@devnull

Many ISP's no longer offer standalone Modems but instead insist upon giving you a modem/router combo, one can disable the router component in the settings

as for the fear of getting hacked by having more devices connected to the network ignore that fear.

your ISP if they are providing a modem with a built in router will have a firewall on the router, and just ensure each device on the network has the appropriate anti malware software installed.

IF the device your carrier has given you is just a modem, then you would be better to get a new router as an all in 1 device vs the switch and accesspoint combination you're describing

Some ISPs with router/modems can from their end, or tell you how, to put it into the "bridge" mode, meaning their router is bypassed.

Some other ISPs will provide a modem-only product if you are very persistent.