What's new

Can I use the factory firmware and add custom autorun commands like iptables?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gecongjie

Occasional Visitor
I recently bought an ax57 and it's fine without any USB ports. But I want to execute some commands automatically, iptables rules for example. The Asus technique support told me Asus firmware doesn't support iptables which I tested with ssh is not true. However, I can't find a way to automatically run commands like iptables after the router reboot. Any help is appreciated.

IIRC, at one time ASUS did permit you to configure a startup script for such purposes. But I believe that was disabled quite some time ago due to security concerns. It's one of many reasons ppl turn to third party firmware (e.g., AsusWRT-Merlin), which typically provides this capability and a lot more. Of course, not all ASUS routers are supported, including your AX57.

IIRC, at one time ASUS did permit you to configure a startup script for such purposes. But I believe that was disabled quite some time ago due to security concerns. It's one of many reasons ppl turn to third party firmware (e.g., AsusWRT-Merlin), which typically provides this capability and a lot more. Of course, not all ASUS routers are supported, including your AX57.

AX 57 is a new model, but I doubt there would be a Merlin firmware in years since it has no USB port. I could only hope there would be a compatible model like 66u_b1 and 68u.
So now I'm thinking about setting static routes so my OpenVPN clients can remotely access my PC at home, but it seems harder than I thought.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!