What's new

Can Someone Explain This?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Darknessrise

I was curious if someone had an idea of what's happening with something I've noticed happening.

I noticed this really odd bug when my phone is running the app WiFi Analyzer. I noticed that if it's doing a download and then I run WiFi Analyzer, it basically destroys the 2.4 GHz band randomly.

What happens is that while it's scanning, it'll randomly go into a crazy mode. This happens maybe every 5-10 minutes of scanning. When this happens, WiFi Analyzer's graphs will sort of just 'freeze.' All other networks other than the one it's connected to will drop off the graph and it will not update the graph.

If I'm running inSSIDer on my desktop while it's happening on my phone, all networks(even those at -60 dB) go poof on inSSIDer if they're on or overlapping the channel that the network is on(ex. if the phone is connected to a network on channel 1, channel 1-5 networks will go poof). This will last for roughly 1-8 minutes before the phone disconnect/reconnects to the network and the graph starts refreshing normally, then the networks pop back up on my desktop's inSSIDer. My desktop(near the phone) will go the whole duration of the glitch without seeing my 2.4 GHz network once.

My Asus router reports a noise floor of about -60 dB while it's going on with its channel.

When this begins happening, all of my other devices near the phone disconnect from the network since they can't see it.

If it goes on long enough, the download ends up just failing and it's just the scanning going around wrecking stuff.

Any idea of what's going on to cause this? I only noticed this happening randomly when I would go check WiFi Analyzer and an auto download would begin, so I went to investigate it a little further lol.

I also put my phone right near the router. The desktop can see most of the overlapping networks when it's happening, however, my -38 dB signal goes poof until it stops. Seems like it's basically just crushing anything near to it.

I also tried changing the wireless channel of the network it was connected to(while it was going on), but it didn't seem to have any effect, it kept messing around on the original channel.

These are the inSSIDer pictures from my desktop.
Normal -
W4 - Copy.JPG

When phone(during it's glitching) by router, desktop not near -
W2 - Copy.JPG

Phone(during it's glitching) by desktop -
W3 - Copy.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
signals can change over time from channels to whether or not they are transmitting.

Interference can cause a digital signal to be ignored entirely thanks to the firmware in the wireless chip. The wireless signal gets considered as noise and just ignored.

I was curious if someone had an idea of what's happening with something I've noticed happening.

I noticed this really odd bug when my phone is running the app WiFi Analyzer. I noticed that if it's doing a download and then I run WiFi Analyzer, it basically destroys the 2.4 GHz band randomly.

Some apps can cause problems - I see this from time to time in the Android play store...