What's new

Cannot Connect Kindle Fire to Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lone Star

New Around Here
Hi there, this is my first posting so please be gentle! :)

I cannot connect my Kindle Fire to the Internet via my Wi-Fi router (Siemens SE 587).

It works when I'm out and about ie it connects to the Internet, but never when at home. I have also tried connecting via a static IP but that also fails.
When attempting to connect my Kindle Fire, if I have another device already connected eg my LT or DT they also become disconnected.

I have looked at the Amazon help pages, no joy, and also contacted my ISP: the latter simply stated they don't support Kindle, but I have since discovered that a Kindle Fire is compatible with any ISP. :rolleyes:

Any help would be much appreciated. TIA. :)

Hi there, this is my first posting so please be gentle! :)

I cannot connect my Kindle Fire to the Internet via my Wi-Fi router (Siemens SE 587).

It works when I'm out and about ie it connects to the Internet, but never when at home. I have also tried connecting via a static IP but that also fails.
When attempting to connect my Kindle Fire, if I have another device already connected eg my LT or DT they also become disconnected.

I have looked at the Amazon help pages, no joy, and also contacted my ISP: the latter simply stated they don't support Kindle, but I have since discovered that a Kindle Fire is compatible with any ISP. :rolleyes:

Any help would be much appreciated. TIA. :)

On your Kindle Fire do you have the latest software?
See:http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_k6_updates?nodeId=200790620
If not go someplace and update the software.
Do you have your router documentation:
See:http://dts.name/img/up/802a977fc6b3c4d7a807cf5745d86fcb.pdf
Are you using the factory Sidd on the bottom of the router and factory WPA key? Some people claim the Kindle does not process SIdd info over 12 digits.
Reset the router to a shorter Sidd and password.
Try putting the MAC addresses of all your devices in the router.
Let us know what happens.
Forum traffic says your not the only one. Luck.

Kindle Fire

I don't know what to suggest but I have no problem connecting at home using as many as six separate routers/AP from various manufactures. This is waht has worked for me.

None of my SSIDs are more than twelve characters. I use WAP2 Personal AES. All my WiFi radios are on fixed channels. All of my encryption paraphrases are 15 - 23 characters in length.

I have traveled in Europe and South America with the Fire and always been able to connect to WiFi.

Good luck.

Last edited:
@Chuck2 and CaptainSTX,

I have downloaded the manual and am working my way through the 'help speak'.
The KF is fully up to date with regard to software: BTW mine is a 2nd Generation KF.

My SSID is 13 characters in length and the WPA key is 12 characters.
I seem to recall that if I change my SSID then my DT and LT fail to recognize the new SSID. :rolleyes:

I will report back on how things go.

@Chuck2 and CaptainSTX,

I have downloaded the manual and am working my way through the 'help speak'.
The KF is fully up to date with regard to software: BTW mine is a 2nd Generation KF.

My SSID is 13 characters in length and the WPA key is 12 characters.
I seem to recall that if I change my SSID then my DT and LT fail to recognize the new SSID. :rolleyes:

I will report back on how things go.

If you change the SIDD on the router, you must change the SIDD on each device you want to connect to the router. Check the type of security you are using. If all components of your wireless network provide this encryption method there is no need to change any settings. If not, or if you want to change the preset key you can configure the encryption for your wireless network. Suggest WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK (WiFi-Protected Access) or WPA-PSK In the Wireless Network menu, select Wireless Security. Select the desired encryption method from the Security Mode option menu.
Luck

SSID can be any number of characters. Both handheld and WiFi router must match, of course, including upper/lower case.

encryption MODE must match: WEP vs. WPA.
encryption KEY must match exactly.
Your router's setting for this... if you have a laptop with WiFi, and it works, use exactly the same mode/key on the Kindle.

You may have the key as a PASS PHRASE - this is some string of characters like MySecretCode - that was entered on the router.

You may have, on the router, entered a WEP key (If you have chosen WEP rather than WPA, for encryption MODE). If WEP key is used, it must have the exact same number of hexadecimal digits as you entered on the router. The number of digits you entered on the router would have matched the WEP choice you made, of WEP 32 or other form of WEP, as your choice.

My router is set to WPA and when given the choice, with my Kindle Fire, I choose the same form of encryption.
When previously attempting to connect my KF it has managed to connect to my router via Wi-Fi, but has failed to connect to the Internet.

I don't know if the above info helps! :eek:

My router is set to WPA and when given the choice, with my Kindle Fire, I choose the same form of encryption.
When previously attempting to connect my KF it has managed to connect to my router via Wi-Fi, but has failed to connect to the Internet.

Can you now connect to the router- now? Do you have a weak or strong signal?

Sounds like you had a very weak connection between the kindle & router. Set your router's Wireless Network Mode on "g" or "n" rather than 'Mixed" mode. See if this helps. If not, test your router signal strength as follows:
Connect your Laptop (LP) to internet. Download inSSIDerhttp://inssider.en.softonic.com/downloadand install the software on the LP.
Use LP & inssider software to see the signal level of your router and any other wireless in your area. If another SIDD's signal is as strong or stronger than your router signal and on the same channel, manually switch your router's channel to one where there is no sidd or less interference.

FYI. I use WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
Luck

those are the classic symptoms of having a mismatch in encryption mode or key. It can be misunderstandings about password/passkey, etc.

Just to let you know that I have finally solved the problem of no connection to the Internet! :D

After looking at my router settings for what appeared for ever, and trying different tweaks that didn't work, I finally clicked an the Restore to Factory Settings and voila!

Such a simple thing, but many thanks to: stevech, CaptainSTX and Chuck2 for all your suggestions and time! :)

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!