What's new

Can't get my computer to see the network drives

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeaverReaver

New Around Here
This seems to be just the latest problem with my RT-AC68R. I have no idea why my computer can't find the network path for the router or either of my hard drives even though the media server shows just fine in explorer as well as through Windows Media Center on my XBOX 360.

Is there a setting under USB applications that I missed?

On your computer is Network Discovery enabled under Network and Sharing Center > Advanced Sharing Settings? What is your network set to: Home, Work or Public?

I was good to go there. Network set to private with discovery turned on. Again, it's bizarre that I can view the folders in media server under explorer, but the run command \\rt-ac68r doesn't bring up anything.

Try changing your network type to Home. If other devices can see and use it then its your PC.

Try changing your network type to Home. If other devices can see and use it then its your PC.

Private is home isn't it? I did run gpedit.msc and changed that to private. Is there a setting in the actual router itself that needs to be looked at?

Last edited:
I was good to go there. Network set to private with discovery turned on. Again, it's bizarre that I can view the folders in media server under explorer, but the run command \\rt-ac68r doesn't bring up anything.

I see that too ... what happens I think is the device on the LAN that is acting as the Windows Master Browser has changed or the role isn't being taken. It's a goofy ad-hoc election of who's got the ball problem when there's no domain controller in a work group.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/431225/windows-7-networking-and-the-master-browser/

On the PC that is missing the LAN shares, click computer then F5 and wait a minute. This issue comes and goes, and I avoid the issue by having the master browser be an ever-present LAN device.

Now that I think on it, the last time I set up my XBOX 360 in the Windows Media Center app, I had done so in a way that I had never done previous to that by entering in the file path and login credentials.

In doing that I may have made my media extender the "master browser." I'll delete the media extender profiles in Hardware and Devices to see if that does the trick.

Last edited:
Which firmware version are you running? This was a known issue with earlier versions of the firmware. I believe it was fixed in firmware version 374.583.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!