What's new

Can't see NAS on Second Router via Wireless Bridge - HELP!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VanDalin

New Around Here
Hi guys

I hate having to come to forums to seek the help of others, so I bow before you Net gurus, please so pity on my idiot self. I am stuck!

I have two routers, a primary and a secondary. May laptop can talk to both Routers as I have setup a Wireless Bridge between the two by flashing DD-WRT on my WRT54G v2.0

If I try to talk to my NAS (192.168.0.11) which is hard wired to the secondary router it fails over the wireless connection, but if I plug the Ethernet cable I can communicate with it.

Laptops and iPhone connect via the primary to the internet. They receive fixed IP addresses from the primary router.

Where am i going wrong??

Ok, my setup is as folows (hope you get enough info)...

Primary Router:
Model: SAGEM F@st 2504
IP: 192.168.0.1
SSID: SKY12345
DHCP: enabled
Security: WEP 128bit

Secondary Router:
Model: Linksys WRT54G
IP: 192.168.03
SSID: SKY12345 (not broadcasting obviously)
DHCP: Disabled
Security: Matched to Primary

NAS:
Model: Buffalo Terastation
IP: 192.168.0.11

Is the second router actually set up as a router, i.e. does it have a WAN connection?
Or is is just acting as a WDS bridge?

If you plug anything else into the second "router", can you access it?

Hi Tim

While wireless, my laptop can see my wife's laptops shares.

I've plugged her's into the secondary router and I can't see the shares now.

I can ping both Routers still, but not the laptop plugged in.
I can ping the NAS if the wife's laptop is plugged to the Secondary Router and Router connected to the NAS.

Matt

Is the second router actually set up as a router, i.e. does it have a WAN connection?
Or is is just acting as a WDS bridge?

Hi Tim

On the status panel WAN is disabled.

On the LAN panel, the NAS Store isn't listed, but both laptops are.

I plugged in the cable between Laptop and Router which is cabled from router to the Terastation-NAS. The NAS device was found and was available in the Network devices. I can access the storage perfectly.

When I unplug the cable, the device is still there, obviously. Clicking on the NAS device name prompts the NAS box to flash, but I get the message 'Windows cannot access \\NASSTORE.

You should have the NAS set to a Static IP, since Windows name resolution often breaks.

Try accessing the NAS by its IP address.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!