What's new

Captive portal for security

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chuckl

Occasional Visitor
I've read about this in the previous Bed & Breakfast thread.

Our company wants to get wireless going on one of the floors.
There is only personal on this floor one or two days a week.
There general public is also allowed on that floors those days.

Yes, it's a courtroom. Don't know why I'm being secretive :p

Would captive portal be secure enough to allow users on our WAN for email, internet, and possible other resources. Yet, keeping the general public out.

What would be required to make a pfsense box an AP.
Just a wireless with extended remote antenna, or wired connections running to stand alone access points.

I'm thinking this route because most of the people using the wifi will be older, and teaching them WPA or maintaining mac address would be a nightmare.

Last edited:
This is pretty simple with pfsense. Easiest would probably just wiring a traditional access point into one of pfsense's interfaces that you specify as a captive portal. From there, you can set up username and passwords via. a local database on the router, or have it dial home to a radius server. If you already have Active Directory, setting up RADIUS would probably be the easiest bet, nothing new to remember for users and virtually no extra administration overhead for you. You can also upload custom webpages for use on the portal to keep it branded. Pretty straight forward.

Thanks, Scotty, I'll play around with that. We are running AD, but we don't have a RADIUS running. Seems pretty straightforward.