What's new

Change my ASUS mesh from RT-AC68U and Lyra Trio to XT9?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

c3k

Occasional Visitor
Folks,

I'm currently running a mesh system with an RT-AC68U as the controller. All wifi devices have ethernet backhaul (except for one, which is using a wifi bridge...which is also an RT-AC68U).

The RT-AC68U is configured and running just the way I'd like. The Lyra Trio are doing well, also.

However, with an extension going in and trying to modernize, I'd like to change my controller (<- terminology?) from the RT-AC68U to an XT9...and add a second XT9. (And keep the Lyra Trio and my second, bridged, RT-AC68U.)

How do I do that? Meaning, I'd like to unplug the RT-AC68U, plug in the XT9 and seamlessly maintain my mesh topology and all my settings.

Or, will I have to uproot everything?

Thanks,

Ken

Here's a pic...

Topology.JPG

Not advisable to import settings between such large hardware changes. Factory reset nodes, swap in new, add nodes, and manually input your old settings.

Note: 3.0.0.6 features will only work on 3.0.0.6 nodes.

Reactions: c3k

Not advisable to import settings between such large hardware changes. Factory reset nodes, swap in new, add nodes, and manually input your old settings.

Note: 3.0.0.6 features will only work on 3.0.0.6 nodes.

Thanks. Not what I -wanted- to hear, but what I expected. Glad to confirm.

Regards.

Edited to add: I guess just manually copying all the settings from the old and then inputting them into the new (manually) would be the only way to keep all my wifi-linked devices from needing to be individually logged back on?

Or, will I have to uproot everything?

I don't understand why you are digging deeper and deeper in consumer "mesh" when with Ethernet available you can have PoE switch with PoE powered access points under $100 each. 🤷‍♂️

You can try importing old settings. Just know there is a chance you could have issues and end up doing a hard reset. I personally wouldn't try as you are going between a 3.0.0.4 unit and a 3.0.0.6 unit.

Everything should just work as it was before so long as you replicate old ssid's. If this is very complicated and a giant PITA, you may have outgrown asus routers.

I don't understand why you are digging deeper and deeper in consumer "mesh" when with Ethernet available you can have PoE switch with PoE powered access points under $100 each. 🤷‍♂️

Hmm...because I'm a newb and I don't understand how to configure a series of PoE access points...let alone which ones would fit my circumstance and budget? ;)

Hmm...because I'm a newb and I don't understand how to configure a series of PoE access points...let alone which ones would fit my circumstance and budget? ;)
Asus has the expertwifi line with a PoE AP, PoE router, and PoE managed switch which can be adopted into the AiMesh system.

Outside of vlans, expertwifi is "newb" friendly.

Hmm...because I'm a newb and I don't understand how...

Understood, but first - I personally can't recommend XT9 (look for reported issues) and 3-band routers for AiMesh when wired backhaul is available are not needed (overpaying for unused features). Second - RT-AC68U is End-of-Life, but at least runs 386 firmware with AiMesh 2.0. Lyra Trio is not only End-of-Life, but runs 384 firmware with AiMesh 1.0. Evening new runs at least 388 firmware...

I wouldn't take my chances with a total mix like this. I would dispose old hardware and build a new system with all new hardware. This is the better approach and so many nodes may not be needed.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!