What's new

Channel selection questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bru20

Occasional Visitor
After experiencing several issues with my new wireless set up including my SSID disappearing

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8128

I used inSSIDer to check things out. I switched to channel 1 rather than auto and things have been running pretty well (touch wood). SSID has not disappeared and my connection has dropped only a few times over the last two weeks or so, so maybe it really was interference.

My questions, based on the channels being used nearby does channel 1 seem like a good choice? My SSID is the first listed. I should say that I sometimes see two or three more SSIDs including another on channel 1 and also several on channel 11 which for some reason didn't show right now.

Second, sometimes I will see my own SSID show two channels, like 1+5, similar to how some other SSIDs on my screenshot display. It only happens for a millisecond (as opposed to those others that stay that way) but I did notice that one time it happened that's when I had a disconnection. How is this possible? Is it two different bands being used?

Attachments

• inSSIDer1.PNG
    inSSIDer1.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 231
After experiencing several issues with my new wireless set up including my SSID disappearing

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8128

I used inSSIDer to check things out. I switched to channel 1 rather than auto and things have been running pretty well (touch wood). SSID has not disappeared and my connection has dropped only a few times over the last two weeks or so, so maybe it really was interference.

My questions, based on the channels being used nearby does channel 1 seem like a good choice? My SSID is the first listed. I should say that I sometimes see two or three more SSIDs including another on channel 1 and also several on channel 11 which for some reason didn't show right now.

Second, sometimes I will see my own SSID show two channels, like 1+5, similar to how some other SSIDs on my screenshot display. It only happens for a millisecond (as opposed to those others that stay that way) but I did notice that one time it happened that's when I had a disconnection. How is this possible? Is it two different bands being used?
channels 1 and 5 are both in 2.4GHz. I wonder if your router has an "auto channel select" feature and imprudently, it is electing to change channels on-the-fly. I never enable that feature.

Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the ideal channels if most all neighbors do likewise. It's not the number of SSIDs you detect, it's the busyness of an SSID within 3 channels of the one you use.

If you have an N router that is set to auto 20/40 mode, you could be seeing the router occasionally trying to switch to 40 MHz mode, detecting interfering networks and staying in 20 MHz mode.