What's new

Cheap 802.11a wireless router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djc6

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking for an inexpensive 802.11a router for use in a small studio apartment (600-700 sqft). Its for my sister, she has a Dell E1405 laptop with an Intel 3945ABG wireless card in it.

She currently has a WRT54GL but has lots of wifi problems, I suspect because I can see about 20 different wifi networks from inside her building and the adjacent apartment building. I've tried changing channels but it doesn't help. Since her NIC is capable of 802.11a, I was thinking of trying an 802.11a router in the hopes that 5Ghz is less congested, plus it doesn't travel as far so that should cut down on interference as well.

So far I'm looking at the Edimax BR-6475nD for $60 on newegg or the TP-LINK TL-WDR3500 for $50. Any other 802.11a capable routers in this price range?

Dual-band abg routers are pretty much extinct. You can use any dual-band N router, which all are backward compatible to 802.11a.

Look for dual-band selectable (not simultaneous) "N300" routers. Check the Cisco Home store refurbs. E2500 N600 is $35 w/ free shipping and 30 day return.

Another "value priced" vendors is Rosewill (L600N). If you can get to Fry's they may have some there, too.

Oh, I didn't know 802.11n was backwards compatible with 802.11a; I see a bunch of routers that claim b/g/n compatibility, but I was looking for routers that specifically mentioned a/b/g/n.

Oh, I didn't know 802.11n was backwards compatible with 802.11a; I see a bunch of routers that claim b/g/n compatibility, but I was looking for routers that specifically mentioned a/b/g/n.
If you look at dual-band N router specs, you should see 802.11a spec'd. Single band N routers support 2.4 GHz only with backward compatibility only to 802.11b and g.

Thats a good price on that refurb cisco. My only concern is that someone returned it because it was flakey :) 30 day returns, 90 day warranty.

Thats a good price on that refurb cisco. My only concern is that someone returned it because it was flakey :) 30 day returns, 90 day warranty.
I can't speak specifically to Cisco refurbs. But I buy a lot of refurbed products with no problems.

I'm looking for an inexpensive 802.11a router for use in a small studio apartment (600-700 sqft). Its for my sister, she has a Dell E1405 laptop with an Intel 3945ABG wireless card in it.

She currently has a WRT54GL but has lots of wifi problems, I suspect because I can see about 20 different wifi networks from inside her building and the adjacent apartment building. I've tried changing channels but it doesn't help. Since her NIC is capable of 802.11a, I was thinking of trying an 802.11a router in the hopes that 5Ghz is less congested, plus it doesn't travel as far so that should cut down on interference as well.

So far I'm looking at the Edimax BR-6475nD for $60 on newegg or the TP-LINK TL-WDR3500 for $50. Any other 802.11a capable routers in this price range?

The 54GL is quite old. 11g only. Does it have DD-WRT or Tomato firmware on it?

Doubtful that the number of WiFi systems nearby are a problem. It's not how many, but if there is one that hogs air time with heavy video streaming. If so, you can simply change the channel number on the router. Be sure the router's SSID is not the factory default, and ensure that some form of encryption is being used. This prevents the user's computer from jumping on to a neighbor's WiFi. You need to look and see if this is happening.

It would be good to get a decent $50 802.11b/g/n router. Going to 11a isn't advised as few user devices support 11a.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!