What's new

Cheap Router - good range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which would you pick (Range/Reliability over speed)

• Linksys EA7300 - $60

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Netgear R7000 - $110

• Netgear R6700 - $93

• Netgear R6400 - $76

• TP-Link C1900 - $95

• ASUS RT-68U - $80

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

crcostel

New Around Here
Currently running a Netgear R6250. The speed is just fine but looking for something with better range (specifically range through a few walls.) I was originally going to try an R6300v2 but figured an external antenna model might be smart. I'll be hooking up to it:

2 Laptops (wifi AC1300)
Amazon Fire (wired)
PS3 (wired)
Canon Printer (WiFi N) -

and various ipads/iphones/androids.

The printer a key problem because the printer is relatively far from the router. So reliable 2.4ghz connection is key.

I have found some decent deals - let me know what you'd pick

1) Linksys EA7300 (refurb $60)
2) Netgear R7000 (amazon warehouse $110)
3) Netgear R6700 (Amazon Warehosue $93)
4) Netgear R6400 (Amazon Warhouse $76)
5) TP-Link Archer C1900 (Open Box $95)
6) Asus RT-68U ($80 Open Box)

I'd love to get the Linksys but it doesn't look like anyone tested it.

Thanks!

ASUS has good range and the best stock firmware. NETGEAR and TP-Link are tied for second but NETGEAR really loses with its horrible firmware. The TP-Link does much better in that regard and comes close to ASUSWRT if you don't require CLI stuff like scripts/configs

I don't have much experience with current Linksys routers so can't talk about their range. But their firmware is also fairly limited (based on usage of their firmware emulators). I recommend the ASUS AC68U

Probably the AC68U would be the best pick.

if you dont need the fancy firmware features you can also consider tp link too. The ac3200 actually has good range but its probably out of your price range. You could get a cheap router and do an antenna upgrade.