What's new

Check my ASUS XT9 setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GaryTheSnail

New Around Here
I set up the following on my ASUS XT9 2-node mesh. Tell me what you think.

The house is small enough for one router but the one of the rooms is around the corner from the coax internet connection.
I'm not near any airports or radars but wanted to avoid DFS anyway because DFS WiFi channels are limited to 250mW.
Neighbor is using channel 149 (80 MHz), so he using channels 149/153/157/161 so I would like to avoid those.

2 ASUS XT9 mesh routers
2.4G and 5G networks are split using separate SSIDs
Wireless backhaul on 5G-2 (dedicated)

Fronthaul 2.4GHz:
Wireless Mode set to AUTO, (channel 8 is being auto-selected, seems odd to me though)

Fronthaul 5G-1:
Wireless Mode set to Auto
Control Channel set to 36
Enable 160MHz set to OFF (limits this to 20/40/80 MHz on channels 36/40/44/48)
Auto select channel including DFS channels set to OFF.

Backhaul 5G-2:
Wireless Mode set to AX only
Control Channel set to 165
Enable 160MHz set to OFF (limits this to 20/40/80 MHz on channels 165/169/173/177).

Is there are way to improve it or is this about optimal for this situation?

I set up the following on my ASUS XT9 2-node mesh. Tell me what you think.

The house is small enough for one router but the one of the rooms is around the corner from the coax internet connection.
I'm not near any airports or radars but wanted to avoid DFS anyway because DFS WiFi channels are limited to 250mW.
Neighbor is using channel 149 (80 MHz), so he using channels 149/153/157/161 so I would like to avoid those.

2 ASUS XT9 mesh routers
2.4G and 5G networks are split using separate SSIDs
Wireless backhaul on 5G-2 (dedicated)

Fronthaul 2.4GHz:
Wireless Mode set to AUTO, (channel 8 is being auto-selected, seems odd to me though)

Fronthaul 5G-1:
Wireless Mode set to Auto
Control Channel set to 36
Enable 160MHz set to OFF (limits this to 20/40/80 MHz on channels 36/40/44/48)
Auto select channel including DFS channels set to OFF.

Backhaul 5G-2:
Wireless Mode set to AX only
Control Channel set to 165
Enable 160MHz set to OFF (limits this to 20/40/80 MHz on channels 165/169/173/177).

Is there are way to improve it or is this about optimal for this situation?

Nice work!

You could fix the 2.4 control channel, if stable, and use 20MHz bandwidth to be courteous.

You could evaluate using 5-2 160MHz bandwidth to see how it performs... might be powerful enough for your backhaul layout, especially with router radios on each end. US UNII-4 (169, 173, 177) has no DFS... is this band limited to 250mW? Find the backhaul connection details in the Wireless Log to know the connection performance.

OE

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!