What's new

Cisco Cloud Connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jebise

Occasional Visitor
I just purchased a new Cisco EA2700 and don't really understand this CCC idea. Why would anyone want to administer there network remotely??

I know you can revert back to the classic firmware but the one available for the EA2700 has major security flaws as far as I can tell. Is there not a way to disable the "Cloud" part of the new firmware?

I really don't need to remotely manage my network nor do I want Cisco monitoring my Network.

This is a product (with features...) I would never buy.

Ever.

Still; waiting for it to ship, I'm now thinking of returning it and investing in the TP Link WDR3600 and just install DDWRT and call it a day.

The latest firmware for all EA routers provides full admin functions without having to opt into the Cloud features.

Call me paranoid - but how do we know the cloud features are really off?

Also lots of businesses use Cisco Meraki cloud managed networks and they are perfectly fine, as the datacenters where the cloud controller is hosted are even PCI compliant.
https://meraki.cisco.com/trust#data-centers

I think people take this way out of proportion.

There's a LOT of cool things about being able to pre-configure your router/switch/ap before it arrives and being able to clone settings from one network to the other as well as not have to mess with controllers that bottleneck or fail.

OK, you're paranoid.

First, Cisco no longer owns Linksys.

Second, we already looked at this and found nothing.

With the NSA slurping up all your net activity, you're really worried about Cisco?

:)

That article is from 2012...

Also, I'm not worried that Cisco (or Linksys) is doing the spying...

I'm worried that with the hardware 'cloud' enabled from the manufacturer - the NSA is using an as yet unknown backdoor to spy on us directly. ;)

@ thiggins

Thanks for the info, once the unit arrives I will place a hub between the 2700 and my main router and will use wireshark to sniff the packets just to be sure Cisco is not watching. I know we are already being watched but at least nothing from inside my network and don't need a router feeding my internet usage to Cisco/Linksys/Belkin etc.

So I would like to confirm we have full usage of the router without creating a cisco account? I remember reading an article on Linksys's website that stated you need to be disconnected from the internet in order to login locally into the router and even with that you wouldn't get the smart wifi tools i.e parental control, guest network etc. I assume this is no longer the case?

If you want to use the cloud firmware, but don't want the router communicating with the cloud servers.....follow these steps (which work for me)

1. Don't connect router to modem yet. Reset ea2700 to factory defaults by pressing and holding the recessed pinhole reset button for 15 seconds.
2. Don't login to the router with a smart wifi account username and password
3. Login to the GUI with the local login only and configure router ( default password is admin---don't forget to change that default password)
4. If you create a smart wifi account and login to the router with your smart wifi account, you'll have to repeat steps 1-3 again.
5. Connect router to modem

To verify that your router is not communicating with the cloud servers:

1. Access the GUI via local login
2. Click on troubleshooting tab
3. Click on "report" (report is hard to find on page---keep looking)
4. It should say "smart wifi services status=STOPPED" on the report page

@ thiggins

Thanks for the info, once the unit arrives I will place a hub between the 2700 and my main router and will use wireshark to sniff the packets just to be sure Cisco is not watching. I know we are already being watched but at least nothing from inside my network and don't need a router feeding my internet usage to Cisco/Linksys/Belkin etc.

So I would like to confirm we have full usage of the router without creating a cisco account? I remember reading an article on Linksys's website that stated you need to be disconnected from the internet in order to login locally into the router and even with that you wouldn't get the smart wifi tools i.e parental control, guest network etc. I assume this is no longer the case?

You get all features without creating a smart wifi account. The iPhone app will also work as long it's connected to same LAN segment. The smartwifi app doesn't work through NATs if you're using local login. The smartwifi app will work through multiple NATs only if you have smart wifi account.

For security and risk reasons, every router I've owned - -I ensure that the option to allow admin login via WiFi is disabled. Likewise, I wouldn't want a smartphone/tablet or PC/laptop app doing any admin, via LAN or WAN.

@ thiggins So I would like to confirm we have full usage of the router without creating a cisco account? I remember reading an article on Linksys's website that stated you need to be disconnected from the internet in order to login locally into the router and even with that you wouldn't get the smart wifi tools i.e parental control, guest network etc. I assume this is no longer the case?
It has been this way since the EA6500. No jumping through hoops required. See http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...art-wi-fi-router-ac-1750-hd-video-pro?start=1

Just got the EA2700 and parental control, guest mode, speed test are all not visable as soon as i connect the internet. like WTF??

Just got the EA2700 and parental control, guest mode, speed test are all not visable as soon as i connect the internet. like WTF??

Disconnect it from your modem. Reset to factory defaults. Don't use the cd. Connect an Ethernet cable from your PC to one of its LAN ports. Type 192.168.1.1 in a web browser window. Or type myrouter.local in a web browser. Then click the disclaimers, and login with router password of admin.

Disconnect it from your modem. Reset to factory defaults. Don't use the cd. Connect an Ethernet cable from your PC to one of its LAN ports. Type 192.168.1.1 in a web browser window. Or type myrouter.local in a web browser. Then click the disclaimers, and login with router password of admin.

my bad it was coz i switched to bridged mode.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!