What's new

Cisco RV180W Wireless VPN Router - HELP!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Triad Tech

New Around Here
I need some serious help here and I appreciate anything anyone can offer in advance.

I primarily do computer repair and a little networking. I'm far from a network expert. Here's the deal:

I'm helping a client of mine in a couple months move to a new location. I am going to be using a Cisco RV180W Wireless VPN Router. I just received the router and have began setting it up at my home and hoping to figure it all out so when they are ready to move, I'll be ready for them. After looking at the configuration, I'm quite overwhelmed.

What I need to do is create two wireless networks. One for the actual employees to use and one for guests that come and go as well as share files remotely through VPN.

They will have a Windows 2003 File Server. It's not used for applications, just simple file sharing. The employees will need to access some shared folders on the server both from within the office and from remotely, outside the office. I'd like to be able to simply map a drive letter to the server if possible that they can use when outside the office. Accessing the files locally on the network is no issue at all and is working.

Here's where I am clueless... I already setup two wireless networks. Let's call them Company and Company-Guest. They both work as far as connecting goes. What I need to do is this. How can I make sure people on the GUEST network do not see the file server? In my test environment, I couldn't figure this out. I can still type in \\server\ on a run line and it pops right up. I would like the GUEST wireless account to be INTERNET ONLY. Absolutely no possible way for anyone to see or get to the file server.

Secondly, how can I share these files and folders on the server remotely using VPN? This is a VPN router and I see there is a VPN client I can install but how exactly do I setup the VPN stuff on the router?

Hope all this makes sense. Just need to keep the GUEST wireless account to INTERNET ONLY (No server access or seeing any other computers on network) and sharing files remotely over VPN.

Thank you!

Triad Tech

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!