What's new

Client mode, WDS or other solutions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrc

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Today I use a D-Link DIR-855 in my livingroom connected to my broadbandconnection and with Ethernet to my HTPC, medialink and TV (yeah, DNLA on the TV ;-). In addition I have a HomePlug-connection with brings my network up to the second floor, where I have a Gigabit Ethernet-switch connecting sevral pc-s and a couple of NAS-units. On the NAS I also run HTTP/HTTPS- and SFTP-server through NAT.

Problem is that Homeplug is slow - it's slower than my broadbandconnection, and it gives me problems if a want to stream files to the HTPC or medialink and at the same time use my broadbandconnection to download something...

Overview of the setup at home can be found attached.

So I want to get rid of the Homeplug.... I need a new connection between the two floors in the house. Using a cable would have been the best naturally, but that is not a option here now (the rooms are in different ends of the house, and no channels in the walls for cables...)

So I want a solution where I have a wlan-router on the second floor making a connection with the first floor setup. From what I understand this should be possible through using Client Mode or WDS, or seting a router up as a wireless bridge. I also need sevral units being with is on a cabled connection available for all other devices in the network.

The D-Link DIR-855 I have don't support Client Mode and don't support WDS. A solution could have also been to buy a WLAN-to-Ethernet-bridge, but don't find anyone that have one with 802.11n-support.

I have a Linksys WRVS4400N and a WRT160N also laying here, and the question is then if/how I could have used these. I have powered them up here, but can't find any info in the admin-interface or in the product info if these support WDS or Client mode. And if so, how can it be set up? If one them support Client Mode, I guess I could use it against the D-Link DIR-855 which is allready set up (kinda strange that the DIR-855 don't have features the old DIR-655 had...)

Suggestions?

Attachments

• home.jpg
    home.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 344
The vast majority of wireless routers don't have client mode, and the DIR-655 doesn't. It might have WDS support, but that needs compatible WDS support on both ends, and often has severe limitations on security.

There are two general approaches to client mode -- get a dedicated off-the-shelf device such as the D-Link DAP-1522, or get a device compatible with DD-WRT or some other such third-party firmware which has client mode support.

Some versions of the WRT160N (v1, v1.1) are supported by DD-WRT.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys

If you have a supported hardware revisions, you could follow the instructions carefully for selecting and installing the right version of DD-WRT. Then follow the instructions carefully for enabling client bridge mode. Then reboot the bridge and the client computer and wait for it to establish connection.

Installation and configuration is the hardest part; once you've done this the rest is payback. If you want local gigabit performance (of course you're not going to get gigabit speeds across the wireless bridge), you could add a gigabit switch.

The DIR-655 does support WDS, the DIR-885, which I have, don't. Allready have GbE on the second floor, where is where I need it.

I will look into maybe putting a cable on the outside of the house - can be a easier and more powerfull solution.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!