What's new

Cloud based NAS for IOS streaming?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Carnagerover

Hi all,

I am basically looking for a NAS which has decent iPad apps that will playback HD MP4 files both over the network and remotely. I have 20Mbps upload so streaming shouldn't be a problem when I am away from home.

I currently own a WD MyCloud 2TB, I like the device for everything apart from playing movies, it stops to buffer frequently even on low bitrate files. With this in mind, yesterday I bought a Seagate Central, it is better for video, it even remembers where the file has been played up to, but again has had problems with sudden loss of sound and buffering although less frequent.

I have a Netgear R7000 and have a full wireless signal to the iPads I am streaming to, when using Plex from my PC I have no problems playing back files on of 1080p 20Mbps or higher. I can also use my PC to remotely stream my files but the point of what I am trying to be able to do is playback my files without the need for my gaming pc to be on or to have to rely on public cloud based services.

Any suggestions?