What's new

Combine 2 LANs, maintain 2 WANs over wireless?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PCjabber

New Around Here
I am trying to set up a bridged network in my apartment. Being that my apartment complex is owned by the University, I can't drill holes in the walls, and my roommates probably wouldn't like it if I ran Ethernet cables along the floor to connect the two "segments" of the network...so I'm looking for a wireless method to bridge them.

Here's my setup:
I have a Linksys WRT160Nv3 running DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 13309M (11/25/09) in my bedroom. It's connected directly to the University-provided Ethernet jack which goes through their network to the internet. This gives me a unique public IP address (152.x.x.x).
I also have several devices in the living room (PS3, Xbox 360, and a PC running MythTV). I'm currently connecting them to an Ethernet jack in that room via a Netgear FS105 switch, which allows the University network to provide each one with its own public IP (152.y.y.y).

The trouble with this setup is:
1) The University only allows me to have a limited number of devices connected at one time. This is controlled by manually registering MAC addresses of devices using the network through a web-based tool -- done once per semester, usually. They count a router as one device (provided that you're doing NAT behind it).
2) I can't share music/videos/etc from my PC (connected to the Linksys WRT160N in my bedroom) to the PS3/Xbox 360/etc in the living room.

I'd like to use some sort of wireless bridge to set up a LAN that encompasses both rooms...but I'd also like to be able to have the benefit of the second WAN connection that a standalone router in the living room would provide. Is there any way to bridge two routers, using two separate WAN connections, without using an Ethernet link?

I've thought of using two routers + a wireless bridge (WLAN <-> Ethernet), which doesn't necessarily bother me, but I'd prefer something a little simpler. I forgot to mention that I have a Netgear WGR614v7, which seems to be pretty much useless in terms of client/bridging/repeating.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

A diagram would help.

Why do you need two networks. Why not connect the University connection to Router WAN, then all your devices.

You should also consider powerline HomePlug AV to connect the two rooms.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!