What's new

Command Line control: toggle USB port power on / off

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gatorback

Regular Contributor
Last edited:
PPS - Must the USB port's power be turned off, or would simply stopping the fan be acceptable?

It's way easier not to pursue further on this direction..

Buy a low RPM fan (<2000 rotation/min...nothing higher). Leave it always on. You achieve both low noise and a cool head.

If I am away for a stretch, I would like to be able to turn it on. It would be easier just to leave it on, however, it would be nice to eventually have a 'thermostat' script. Stopping the fan would be fine: that being said I thought it might be easy to issue a single command to depower the USB port.

The temperature difference between idle and fully loaded on dual core cortex A9 is about 10 degree. You either worry all the time or not at all. Don't have to feel the urge in between.

I was thinking like you last year. I thought it didn't worth any further investment... if there is an easy and quick solution. I would love to hear too :)

Why is it running so hot? My Linksys EA8500 is just luke warm to touch. Booted in the summer, been running 24/7 since. No f/w to update, never needed reboot.

84 Degrees in a home @ 70 degrees. This router is in Florida, so there is the potential for greater temperatures. Any thoughts as to whether a fan is warranted?

Considering the number of people around here that overclock with no fan, I would say the fan is unneeded.

I have to reanimate this thread because I want to powercycle the usb 3.0 (or 2.0 if it would make a difference) port on a 68U. Is this possible? I use a modem stick which sometimes locks up and has to be unplugged and replugged to get it working again. If it's possible to power cycle the usb port this would make things a lot easier.

The procedure linked in #2 doesn't work because the path mentioned in this linked article isn't available. Also another solution working with TL-WR842NDv1 sending "echo 0 >
/sys/class/gpio/gpio6/value" to disable and "echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio6/value" to enable power doesn't apply because of missing gpio path (besides not knowing if this would even be the right gpio).

So if someone with deep knowledge of the system knows a command to disable/enable power on usb ports I would really appreciate it.

Best wishes,
chris

Hi & BUMP..

@gatorback - have you found any way how to achieve this?

@kvic & @TonyH - Is there any new way you may be aware of how to simply achieve this - turn off the USB/GPIO power?

Some D-Link routers can do this.. What about RT-AC66U or RT-AC68U?

Thanks!

Would really like to know if toggling the USB power via the command line is possible.

I added fans to two AC68Us and it made a huge difference, 80° Celsius to low 50s. They do run noticeably better. I had them rebooting weekly, but now every once in a while they don't come back up completely after the scheduled reboot, and have to be manually power cycled.
They are remote, at my dads, so its a hassle. Only happens to one or the other once every month or 2. I've just stopped the scheduled reboot, but recently happened when I rebooted after doing some remote maintenance, and now I'm gun shy to click a reboot button. I know, plug the fans into an external adapter, but thats less elegant, and it only happens like 1 out of 10 reboots. (I'm not quite even 100% certain it is the fans.) But 95% sure preventing the fans from drawing power during boot would fix the problem.

Edit:
Some of the LEDs can be toggled on/off. Are they 5 volts? If I could turn a LED into a fan plug that might be perfect

Last edited:
Considering this thread is over 3 years old, I would say this is not possible.

mxyz, I would move the fans off the router to test if that is the actual issue.

What firmware are you running on those RT-AC68U's? It may be time to upgrade to the latest?

I try to reopen this thread because i need the same thing :)
I found half solution maybe:

I found this thread https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1850312
to discover usb
for device in $(ls /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/product); do echo $device;cat $device;done
to turn off
echo suspend | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/devices/XXXX/power/level
to turn on
echo on | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/devices/XXXX/power/level

I have ususwrt on RT-AC88U, i enter with ssh and first command give me:
/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/product
xHCI Host Controller
/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb2/product
EHCI Host Controller
/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb3/product
OHCI Host Controller
--------
I tried to follow path but mine is different, i will make tests but if somebody with more knowledge of me will find how to solve this is welcome :)

I try to reopen this thread because i need the same thing :)
I found half solution maybe:

I found this thread https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1850312
to discover usb
for device in $(ls /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/product); do echo $device;cat $device;done
to turn off
echo suspend | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/devices/XXXX/power/level
to turn on
echo on | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/devices/XXXX/power/level

I have ususwrt on RT-AC88U, i enter with ssh and first command give me:
/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/product
xHCI Host Controller
/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb2/product
EHCI Host Controller
/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb3/product
OHCI Host Controller
--------
I tried to follow path but mine is different, i will make tests but if somebody with more knowledge of me will find how to solve this is welcome :)
Check this guide and you will get all you need.