What's new

Compatable N card for inspiron 1521

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fj2fjr

Occasional Visitor
I need to upgrade to a gigabit router for my NAS, It will be a wndr3700. I have a dell inspiron 1521 with an AMD processor currently using a Dell 1390 PCI-e G card that has been working fine but, I could use to upgrade it to match the N capabilities of the new router. I tried an Intel 4965agn (it works well my other two Dell Intel based laptops) but it doesn’t seem to be compatible with the AMD processor/board. It shows up as installed and working but doesn’t connect and I get the Blue screen of death after 10 min or so. I want to try another card like an Atheros AR5008. Anyone have an idea which Dual band N-card if any will work?

In the absence of other evidence, I am skeptical that the 4965 is incompatible. I'd check seating (may need a little more oomph to make contact) and trying current drivers if you haven't already done so.

Thanks for the reply 'jdabbs". I wasn't too persistent in trouble shooting the card when I installed it. I’m running Vista 32 bit and when I checked the device manager it reported that the device was working properly so I just gave in. I’ll try again!

OK, I’ve tried twice now to install the Intel 4965agn card by just swapping the cards but Vista locks up during startup, I do have the driver “ICS_Dv32” loaded/installed. Should I delete the current wireless drivers for the Dell1390 before installing the 4965? Could it be that Vista is trying to apply the 1390 drivers to the 4965 causing it to lockup?

I don't think the Dell drivers would be the cause of lockups. Plug and Play hardware each have its own ID so it wouldn't try to use the Dell/Broadcom drivers with the Intel device.

You can run into problems where the client software won't coexist with that of other vendors, but it's doubtful BSODs would result (usually the inability to connect to networks).

It can't hurt to remove the driver. Just make sure you did download the 4965 driver from Intel's site and aren't relying on the preinstalled one.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online