What's new

Complete WIFI for s/m 2 storey office

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

real_per

New Around Here
Hello.

We have a smallish office, covering 2 storeys, 2nd and 3rd flor of a 3 story building.

We would like to have WIFI covering our whole office, with seamless handoff (i.e. one SSID, and automatically changing from one AP to another). The usage is very light, browsing and mail from iphones and ipads. No more than 15 users connected at a time, and only a few using it at the same time.

Currently we have 5 WRT-54GL using DD WRT set up WAPs using the guide here:http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

But the latency, and speed is horrible.

The "air" is pretty congested here, with a lot of 2.4 Ghz wlans, and a single 5 Ghz.

So my question is, what do I need to set up a functioning network for us?

Our budget is ~$600 (530 euro).

I've looked at the popular AC68U, but doesn't know if it's good for a bigger network of APs.

I've also looked at Ubiquiti Unifi, but their AC AP isn't getting good reviews, and is fairly expensive.

I've been thinking tat we could get away with only having the equipment on one of the floors?

Theres a floorplan of our 2 storey office here:
http://imgur.com/a/HrCht

2nd storey, multiple offices and walls:
OEXKFL7.png

3rd storey, open layout, few walls:
lGCExwy.png

Any imput, are greatly appreciated!

I don't think you can get away with a single ssid or a single router.

I would think that with the light usage you're suggesting a router on each floor with them placed on the bottom right LAN outlet (along the 40 metre wall) would be ideal though.

One AP per 1500 Sq Ft and/or 15 users...

Two floors - you'll have AP's on both floors...

I would go with a Pro, as SMB also has security considerations that one doesn't find in the Home/Home Office environment.

sfx

For a business, WiFi is to be avoided in most cases. Or used as Internet-only. Or guests/contractors doing VPN to their homes.
Employees should not use it routinely at their desks for accessing the business' servers.
Floor plans show LAN outlets. Just use those, with some small ethernet switches and some cables. WiFi will bite you in a professional setting.

Larger companies know it's not a tech issue. An over-zealous hacker in the parking lot can go to the media with false (or true) claims of your WiFi's vulnerability. Or other baloney. Doesn't take much rumor/crud to lose your customers' trust. Or violate regulations if you're in health care or law.

Know that Ubiquity's tech support is email/forum only. It's intrinsic to their company's business model. Caveat emptor.

This wifi network, will run on it's own internet connection, so there shouldn't really be any security concerns.

It won't be used for anything business related, only for phones and ipads, since the 4G reception isn't great in this bulding.

I know we have to use multiple routers/APs, but I'm not sure how many, or where.

good that WiFi is not connected to the business LAN where the PCs and servers are.

I'd put one AP per floor, at the middle of the L, since there are no walls shown in the floor plan. Connect it by cat5 to the one router for both floors.
You can experiment with duct tape mounting and see if you get good enough coverage. If not, use two per floor, in each leg of the L.

The below can be on a ceiling tile. NOTE it has a low voltage power inserter to send power to the AP. No mains voltage fire code issues at the AP installation site. If cat5 goes above ceiling tile, buy plenum-rated cat5 cable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8155&cm_re=engenius_ap-_-33-168-155-_-Product

Look at the other similar APs there... some look like smoke detectors.

mikrotik has much cheaper indoor AP alternatives compared to ubiquiti, about $72 for their wifi AP that uses the same CPU as the tplink archer C7 but with a 1W transmitter/reciever. The more expansive variant has SFP and miniPCIe and even SIM slot.

Personally i think 1 AP would suffice but if not you can use multiple APs. 5 Ghz has more non overlapping channels you can use compared to 2.4Ghz
If 1 AP is sufficient but if not consider the netgear R8000 or asus ac3200 if you need more channels which is the equivalent to 2 asus AC68U connected via ethernet.

Dont bridge wireless to wireless, the other choice is to use ethernet over powerline for the other APs.

For business wifi where you need configurability and security mikrotik does well but if you dont have the skill or need for advanced stuff going with consumer stuff like the ac68U will suffice but if it is for internet than going with the simple (even an AC 2x2) is sufficient.

For business wifi where you need configurability and security mikrotik does well but if you dont have the skill or need for advanced stuff going with consumer stuff like the ac68U will suffice but if it is for internet than going with the simple (even an AC 2x2) is sufficient.

What is an AC 2x2 ?
I think I'm gonna go with a AC68U. Any ideas how many I would need to cover the whole office?

I suggest two RT-AC68U's mounted near that little angled wall on the right LAN access port along the bottom 40M wall.

One on each floor. Considering the number of users, this should be more than sufficient.

We would like to have WIFI covering our whole office, with seamless handoff (i.e. one SSID, and automatically changing from one AP to another). The usage is very light, browsing and mail from iphones and ipads. No more than 15 users connected at a time, and only a few using it at the same time.
Why do you need seamless handoff if this isn't going to be for any business traffic? I'd just put one strong ap on each floor and be done with it.

Why do you need seamless handoff if this isn't going to be for any business traffic? I'd just put one strong ap on each floor and be done with it.
Can't get fast truly seamless handoff as a user moves about, with consumer WiFi. To get it, a very expensive proprietary WiFi system with managed APs and so on is needed. Too much for residential.

Nicely automated best-AP selection just isn't there in the IEEE 802.11 standards.

Can't get fast truly seamless handoff as a user moves about, with consumer WiFi. To get it, a very expensive proprietary WiFi system with managed APs and so on is needed. Too much for residential.

Nicely automated best-AP selection just isn't there in the IEEE 802.11 standards.
Exactly. But if it's just guest access, no need for a smooth handoff really. Just put two consumer units and be done.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!