What's new

Configuring AP/Extender on RT-AC3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roldogg

Regular Contributor
I bought a Netgear EX7000 wireless AC extender, which I want to hook up with my Asus RT-AC3200, but I have a couple of questions first.

The EX7000 has a couple of different options to connect it to my primary router. I can either hardwire it to my RT-AC3200 and set it up as an AP, assign it's own SSID for the 2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz bands or I can set it up as an extender and connect to my RT-AC3200 via the wireless connection. When setting it up as an extender, it gives me an option to extend both the 2.4 & 5Ghz bands or use the 5Ghz band to connect to the RT-AC3200 and clients could then connect to the 2.4Ghz band, or just the opposite (2.4Ghz to the primary router & clients connect to the 5Ghz band). Supposedly, this prevents the speed of the extender being cut in half when extending the signal wirelessly.

Can someone tell me the best way to hook this up so my wireless network is extended and the clients connected get the fastest connection possible and are able to communicate with the clients connected to the primary router?

I've had this extender for a month or so, and I've tried connecting it multiple ways but after a while it always ends up slowing down my entire network, clients drop off the network, or clients connected to the extender can't reach the WAN anymore. When I setup this EX7000, depending on how I set it up, am I supposed to go into the settings on my RT-AC3200 under Wireless/WDS and enter the MAC address of the extender and/or go into the settings on the RT-AC3200 under LAN/Route and enter the IP address of the extender/AP? Under LAN/Route it says to use this if connecting multiple routers behind my RT-AC3200 to share the same connection to the Internet, so I was wondering if it would apply here, and under Wireless/WDS it says to enter the MAC address of the AP (if using the wireless connection) and the do the same on the AP by adding the MAC addresses from each band on the RT-AC3200. Only thing is, I use WPA2 security, which it says it doesn't support.

I must be doing something wrong when connecting it because it works fine for a little while, but then I start having problems so I then unplug it. Also, when setting up the AP/Extender, I've been using the same SSID so someone connected to the wireless network doesn't have to keep switching networks if they move somewhere else in the house. When I use the same SSID on both, I'll setup the roaming assistant to disconnect from the primary router when the signal gets low so the client will automatically drop that connection and connect to the AP/Extender.

Can someone please give me some advice on the best way to setup this AP/Extender, if I need to change anything in the settings of my primary router when doing this, or if there's something else that needs to be done that I'm not doing? I really need to use this to get a wireless signal on the other side of the house, but like I mentioned, it only works for a few days and then I need to turn it off. Thanks!

Set up the EX7000 in AP mode. Once configured, Ethernet connect the device to a port on the AC3200.

To be safe, change your DHCP pool size on the AC3200, ( LAN > LAN DHCP - tab at top of page - change IP Pool Ending Address to 192.168.2.240). Once you press apply the AC3200 should reboot.
Give the EX7000 a static IP address of 192.168.1.254 - NM: 255.255.255.0 - Gateway 192.168.1.1.

This will ensure the EX7000 IP Address will not be leased to another device. I would leave Roaming Assistant off, as the EX7000 does not support roaming assistant (or at least does not have a clickable button).

You can decide if you want to use the same SSID's or not, (depends on whether you want to try and roam - roaming is dependent on the clients ability to roam.. well.. ) but ensure you use different wireless channels on AC3200 and the EX7000 - 2.4ghz (1,6, or 11 - least congested channel) and higher channels on 5 ghz. Test the 5 ghz channels to see what works best for you in your environment..

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll give this a shot and see if it fixes my intermittent problems.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!