What's new

Confused on how to pick the right router for me.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Trabant

New Around Here
I have owned many routers in the past, but have never owned one that worked right or reliably. Admittedly, all have been cheap low-end routers (currently a D-Link 615). I am now interested in selected a "good" router and not just one that is cheap. The D-Link (like others before it) require being reset multiple times a day.

My setup in the house involves 5 computers (win and mac), an iphone, and a wii on the network. Most of the machines use the internet lightly, one bittorrents moderately often. One machine has 802.11n, the rest have 802.11g.

I want a router that 1) works reliably and rarely needs to be reset, 2) is able to handle the internet uses of the above machines, and 3) can stream audio and video from PC to PC on the WAN (Standard Def is good enough.)

How do I go about picking a router that will handle my situation? One thought was to buy a WRT54GL and put on a custom firmware, as it seems to have excellent and consistent reviews everywhere. Another thought is to get the DLINK -655 which handles 200+ simultaneous connections, is an 'n' router, and supposedly really fast. But I've seen mixed reviews about the firmware it.

Do I care about the "speed" of a router? Does the CPU speed matter? Or would a WRT54GL be perfect as it is reliable and bullet proof? Is my issue with constant need for reboots that I have too many connections and should pick a router based on the maximum number of simultaneous connections?

I'd love some advice on either what router to buy, or what are the considerations I should be making for my specific setup.

Thank you so much for your anticipated help.

Do you have problems with the router when torrents are not being downloaded?
Are you limiting the # of torrent connections?

Is the torrent machine wired or wireless?

Have you considered that your ISP may be shutting you down due to heavy torrenting?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!