What's new

Connect Fibre and RT-AC86U Router - How to Connect?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cwaite

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I am joining Connect Fibre in the UK next week, my Asus RT-AC86U Router is currently configured to connect to an Openreach VDSL Modem and the WAN Connection type is set to PPPoE. I want to be able to use this router with my new FTTP service.

Connect Fibre say "Configure the WAN Port on your third party router to VLAN 101 and DHCP."

https://www.connectfibre.co.uk/knowledge-base/how-to-use-your-own-router?utm_term=&utm_campaign=Google+Pmax_Jan+offer_Order_240102&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&gad_source=1

I understand that I can configure this setting on the RT-AC86U by going to LAN > IPTV, then Change Select ISP Profile to Manual Setting, then type 101 in the VID field but what do I put in the PRIO field? Also do I need to do anything else?

20240720 Asus RT-AC86u 1.png

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be given.

I'm neither from the UK nor familiar with Connect Fibre, so I'll try to help with advice that is generally applicable in similar circumstances, especially if you're only using their Internet connection (as opposed to fibre TV, telephone, etc.).

You may want to consider "Bridge Mode" instead, which is a more straightforward connection method. With that, the Connect Fibre's ONT/Router will become "transparent", allowing your RT-AC86U to directly connect to their network, get the public WAN IP address, and fully manage your internal network. To do that, please proceed as follows:
  1. Connect Fibre's ONT/Router: set it to "Bridge Mode" according to their instructions: https://www.connectfibre.co.uk/knowledge-base/can-i-use-my-own-router
  2. RT-AC86U: although they don't explicitly mention this, go to WAN > Internet Connection, set the "WAN Connection Type" to "Automatic IP", and leave the rest at their default values. You can adjust other settings later, if you wish.
With the above, your RT-AC86U will fully take over and you should be ready to go. I hope this helps and please report your results.

Hi

I am joining Connect Fibre in the UK next week, my Asus RT-AC86U Router is currently configured to connect to an Openreach VDSL Modem and the WAN Connection type is set to PPPoE. I want to be able to use this router with my new FTTP service.

Connect Fibre say "Configure the WAN Port on your third party router to VLAN 101 and DHCP."

https://www.connectfibre.co.uk/knowledge-base/how-to-use-your-own-router?utm_term=&utm_campaign=Google+Pmax_Jan+offer_Order_240102&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&gad_source=1

I understand that I can configure this setting on the RT-AC86U by going to LAN > IPTV, then Change Select ISP Profile to Manual Setting, then type 101 in the VID field but what do I put in the PRIO field? Also do I need to do anything else?

View attachment 60293

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be given.
Your settings will work just fine so long as it's an openreach connection.
No need to set anything else. Have you tried it yet?

Your settings will work just fine so long as it's an openreach connection.
No need to set anything else. Have you tried it yet?
Unfortunately connect fibre is not an Openreach connection like my current service, Connect Fibre operate their own network and install their own cables and equipment, also as my post states its not being fitted until next week so unfortunately I am unable to try it, I am just trying to get prepared with advice before the install takes place so that there is minimal loss of connectivity when the new service is installed.

Last edited:
I'm neither from the UK nor familiar with Connect Fibre, so I'll try to help with advice that is generally applicable in similar circumstances, especially if you're only using their Internet connection (as opposed to fibre TV, telephone, etc.).

You may want to consider "Bridge Mode" instead, which is a more straightforward connection method. With that, the Connect Fibre's ONT/Router will become "transparent", allowing your RT-AC86U to directly connect to their network, get the public WAN IP address, and fully manage your internal network. To do that, please proceed as follows:
  1. Connect Fibre's ONT/Router: set it to "Bridge Mode" according to their instructions: https://www.connectfibre.co.uk/knowledge-base/can-i-use-my-own-router
  2. RT-AC86U: although they don't explicitly mention this, go to WAN > Internet Connection, set the "WAN Connection Type" to "Automatic IP", and leave the rest at their default values. You can adjust other settings later, if you wish.
With the above, your RT-AC86U will fully take over and you should be ready to go. I hope this helps and please report your results.
Thanks for the advice for which I am extremely grateful, I was hoping to be able to plug my Asus Router directly into the new ONT, I will try this as a last resort but I was hoping not to have an extra Router on my already overcrowded desk.

One other question you said set the WAN connection type to Automatic IP, I have ordered a Static IP address from Connect Fibre, do I still set hte Wan Connection Type to Automatic IP or should it be Static IP in this instance?

Thank you again for your advice its most appreciated and gives me an option if I can't get my Asus directly connected to the ONT.

do I still set hte Wan Connection Type to Automatic IP or should it be Static IP in this instance?
Keep it to automatic IP, let Connect manage that. 👍

Ok so my fibre to the premises arrived yesterday.

Took 2 minutes for me to connect my Asus router to the ONT, I simply plugged my Ethernet cable from the ONT into the internet socket on my Asus router then logged into the Asus admin went to LAN>IPTV and clicked on the dropdown for Select ISP Profile and selected Manual Setting, put 101 in Internet VID, then went to WAN then changed connection type to Automatic IP. Rebooted the router and it connected.

No need for the Connect Fibre router to be connected at all just the ONT and the ASUs Router.

Attachments

• IMG_2259.jpeg
    IMG_2259.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2260.jpeg
    IMG_2260.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 23
Excellent, I'm glad to hear it! Thanks for reporting back.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!