What's new

Connecting 2 houses 800 feet apart

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shiftno

Occasional Visitor
I'm wanting to connect two buildings that are about 800 feet apart. There are trees in between, but no ground or anything else. When trees are bare, I can see the lights of one house from the other.

I'm trying to get as fast a wireless connection as possible to transfer large files. Could you recommend the best equipment for this?

Can't say for 800ft, but I do this for my brother and folks using an Asus 3200 about 150ft apart and it works great. Each has a 5ghz ch. No trees and router is about 10ft higher than other location.

I'm hoping to get speeds of close to 1Gbps. I was thinking of some sort of fixed wireless, such as Ubiquiti equipment.

I'm hoping to get speeds of close to 1Gbps. I was thinking of some sort of fixed wireless, such as Ubiquiti equipment.

I don't believe you'll get anything close to that. If you even get the link/connection going in the first place.

Is a physical wire (with multiple repeaters) a possibility?

I don't believe you'll get anything close to that. If you even get the link/connection going in the first place.

Is a physical wire (with multiple repeaters) a possibility?
Yeah, a wire would be awesome if possible for 800ft.

Do you have some telco buddies with a few thousand dollars of spare parts? :)

To have a chance I speculate that the bridge would need a strong connection with four stream 802.11ac 80 MHz wide

To have a chance I speculate that the bridge would need a strong connection with four stream 802.11ac 80 MHz wide

Over that distance with no interference? Not a chance. Except maybe as a science experiment (for a single 'proof of concept' example).

Fiber is going to be the fastest most reliable solution and cheapest. You can probably can add laser to all the above solutions providing you keep a clear path to the other building.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!