What's new

Connecting a node directly (wired) to the Internet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DFRNT

New Around Here
I have one AX Router, but also a spare AC device lying around. I would like to turn the AC device into an AiMesh node, but also connect it directly to the internet via a cable from the modem. I want all connected devices to use that connection instead of going through the wireless backhaul channel to the main router first. How can I do this?

I have already tried to follow the online guides, turning the AX router into AP mode (and connecting the modem to one of the LAN ports instead of the WAN port). However, I couldn't manage to get it to connect to Internet properly, and reverted the router to the default mode instead.

Why would you want to connect the AiMesh node to the internet directly, bypassing the main AiMesh router? What is the use case for such a setup? Doing so, even if its possible (which it likely isn't), potentially opens up security vulnerabilities to anything connected to the AiMesh node since its likely the node's firewall won't be fully or even active/enabled.

Asus Support, has (if you haven't seen it already) a document detailing how to setup "Ethernet Backhaul" from the main AiMesh router to the AiMesh node. Normally one would have the "Internet" connected to the main AiMesh router not the AiMesh node. The main router would control access to the Internet for devices connected to the AiMesh router as well as devices connected to the AiMesh node.

Provide more detail on what your ultimate goal / use case is, and maybe there is another way to achieve it if the basic Ethernet Backhaul AiMesh setup doesn't do what you want or need.

Edit to add: A diagram of an AiMesh Ethernet Backhaul setup:
65512862-b4b2-4efe-99a3-f865dc92da13.png

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!