What's new

connecting high gain antenna directly into router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andrey64

New Around Here
Hello Everyone. New Here

I had a small question to ask you guys.

Is it possible to run my external high gain panel antenna plugged directly into my Asus RT-N16(has 3 external removable antennas) and broadcast the signal out?

My current set up is:

outdoor panel antenna > alfa 1000mw usb wifi adapter > computer(usb port) > Bridge Connection(through ethernal LAN port) > into asus router as Access Point.

Is it possible to bypass a ton of that and have the external plug directly into the asus router(either through usb or use 1 of the 3 external antenna ports ) and receive the signal through 1 antenna and broadcast it out with the other 2?

thank you

no.
Older 2-antenna WiFi routers used switched diversity - where the best-signal antenna was used until the low level firmware in the WiFi radio elected to switch to the other antennna, on an 802.11 frame by frame basis. The two antennas were not used as one for TX, one for RX.

MIMO capable routers are fare more complex. Some MIMO products transmit and receive simultaneously on 2+ antennas in different polarizations, and some use multiple streams on different frequencies, or different codes, and so on.

What's the goal? Improved coverage? It' is better to use a WiFi access point for improving coverage. And running coax many feet to an antenna is self-defeating due to the loss in the coax.