What's new

Connectivity issues with RT-AX88 Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fotingo

Regular Contributor
I recently got this router to replace the RT-AC86U. My setup is pretty basic, so nothing fancy.
I have been comparing the performance between these two and so far I notice this RX-88U is not as stable as the RT-AC86U.

RX-88U pro drops connection for all devices and I have to reboot the router.
Also, OpenVPN is very unstable as well. It just stops working very frequently, then starts working on its own.

Other times I have to reapply the openVPN settings for it to start working again.
My older RT-AC86U was very solid and rarely ever had any of these issues.

Anyone else having issues with this model?

I recently got this router to replace the RT-AC86U. My setup is pretty basic, so nothing fancy.
I have been comparing the performance between these two and so far I notice this RX-88U is not as stable as the RT-AC86U.

RX-88U pro drops connection for all devices and I have to reboot the router.
Also, OpenVPN is very unstable as well. It just stops working very frequently, then starts working on its own.

Other times I have to reapply the openVPN settings for it to start working again.
My older RT-AC86U was very solid and rarely ever had any of these issues.

Anyone else having issues with this model?
Rock solid for me for about a year now. Running Merlin and various scripts, VPN client and server both running normally/stable. Better WiFi coverage than my AC88U, and none of the weirdness like you're describing that my AC87U gave me before I replaced it.

YMMV, I guess...

I do notice this router seem to have a stronger wifi signal than the AC86U, so I really like that. But, so far it's been very unstable for me. I'm still in the trial period, so I will continue to use it for a few more days before I decide if it's going back or not.

@jrmathis your sig says you're on Merlin 388.7.. is that the case?
Dang, just updated to the 388.8 on Wed and forgot to change my sig....388.8 right now, waiting to apply 388.8_2 a couple of days, sorry

Another thing I notice with OpenVPN is....I can connect to it using cell data, but if I connect another wifi, it won't connect. Then when I get back home and test to see if I can connect to it using wifi, I notice it takes a while for it to connect. I understand there is no need to connect to openvpn when I'm home, I was just trying to see if it actually connected since It was not working when I was outside my network and connected to another wifi.