What's new

Controlling DHCP DNS for guest network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mpsharp

New Around Here
I'm running 386.13 on an AC5300 (yes I know, it's time to upgrade the hardware). I also run a PiHole container on my NAS and point all my DNS to that. I also have a guest network which I prefer to not have access to my home devices. Unfortunately, that means the guest network can't resolve any DNS since it can't reach the default DNS server on my private net. I'm pretty sure this wasn't a problem in 386.11. Is there a backdoor to set the DNS server for the guest network? Any other thoughts on how I could allow the guest network DNS access but nothing else?

Edit: Since it appears you are already using Asus-Merlin firmware, install the YazFi add-on. It will allow one to set the DNS servers for Guest Network clients. Downside however is YazFi doesn't work on AiMesh nodes if one is using AiMesh.

YazFi and other add-on scripts can be installed using AMTM included with Asus-Merlin firmware.

Ability to point Guest Network clients to my Pi-Hole server(s) were one of the prime reason I moved to using Asus-Merlin firmware + YazFi.

Example YazFi Asus-Merlin GUI screen from the YazFi GitHub page:
68747470733a2f2f7075752e73682f48676d4c6c2f313738333237623433372e706e67

Last edited:
Well, once I got over the "run this curl script to install random software on your router" fear hurdle, this did the trick. Thanks!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!