What's new

D-Link DAP-2695 vs Ubiquiti UAP-AC (vs other...)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GainfulShrimp

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking for a 3x3 11ac access point which can be powered by PoE (I'm not bothered if it's 802.3af or 802.3at as I'll be getting an injector to use for it (I don't have a PoE/PoE+ switch)).

I'd like only two SSIDs: one for my stuff and one for guests. This implies being able to use a single SSID for both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz, which kinda implies that I need band steering if I want my 5GHz capable devices to use that frequency when they're further than a few feet from the device, I believe..?

Does anyone have experience with either/both of these devices, or have any tips on other WAPs I should be looking at please?

Another option is to configure a consumer wifi router in AP-only mode, but I'm less keen on that option for a few reasons, not least that I won't have PoE with that option, so I'm restricted on where I can place it (i.e. near my UPS).

It seems that Unifi doesn't support band steering? I'm not sure if my Googling has turned up outdated info, or if that's still the case.

It wouldn't be *huge* problem not to have band steering - and I'd have greater visibility of which band I'm connected to - but I just reckon having four SSIDs (one per band for my devices and guests) is a bit messy. Meh.

I like the idea of the Ubiquiti device and the missus would be happier with its internal antennas looks-wise, even if I don't mind external antennas. Also, there are *far* more users of the UAP-AC than the DAP-2695... all the better to flush out issues. (It seems that none of the AC APs are 100% stable and dependable, from what I can tell.)

I vote for other, with separate ssids.

Just feel confined and uncomfortable when buying a very narrow use device and also have the privilege to pay almost double or more for it.

Sure, consumer devices don't have PoE as a normal feature, but they do have other benefits. I'm sure that using one close to your UPS or even buying another UPS and finding a nearby plug is not that big a deal?

One benefit is the price, of course. The other benefit with some Asus routers is the RMerlin firmware which goes through the stock firmware with a fine toothed comb and offers an even less buggy experience.

I would recommend an RT-AC68U or higher and try it with a single ssid if it is really that important. Your devices may work well with that setup. Although my support calls have dropped when I change single ssids to multiple ones. And for me personally, I'd rather know what band / network I'm connected to; it takes seconds to switch to another.

Thanks for responding L&LD. I earlier (before I saw your post actually) pulled the trigger on the UAP-AC. It appears to have a QA date on the box from only a couple of months ago, so hopefully it'll be the more frugal/cool-running v2 model.

In the end, I was attracted to the fact that it looks so good that the missus won't mind me ceiling mounting it somewhere in the middle of the house. That and the fact that I fancy playing with setting up a proper guest portal at home, as it can't hurt my CV.
Also, there comes a point in any purchasing decision where you realise none of the options are perfect and you're Googling in circles trying to narrow down the choice. ;)

Hopefully I won't regret picking something with internal antennas, range-wise. I did a very basic survey by wandering around my house with inSSIDer running on my MacBook, and I reckon I'll be OK if I select the correct channel(s). I don't trust 'auto' not to mess it up, although it might be OK for 5GHz, which it seems none of my neighbours have discovered yet...
I could always add a couple more Unifi APs if the single UAP-AC doesn't cover everywhere - maybe not another AC model until pay day though! ;)

I'll be interested to read how you make out with this.

Realize that choosing a channel isn't only about minimizing interference (which your spot check shows none of). It is about maximizing the throughput that your 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks are capable of.

Internal vs. external antennae do not make a huge difference in my experience. The number of antennae do though on same generation products that are otherwise similar / identical.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!