What's new

D-Link Support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

T

thetoad30

All,

I need some help. I've been trying to work with D-Link to get my DIR-855 working properly, as have many others, but D-Link will not support this router it seems.

Background: I have had this router since August of 2008, and since I set the thing up, it has had this issue where the WLAN reboots constantly, coming up and then going down rapidly. See:http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=2728.0

After receiving no response from both tech support via phone and e-mail, I again posted in the forums asking for help: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=5148.0

I PMed the person as requested, and even got no response from them.

You can see that there are numerous posts with range problems, wireless restarting problems, and even router crashing (which mine now does as well). They even set up a feedback thread for a firmware, but incorporated absolutely none of it and made live a version that causes the router to crash like clockwork almost every two days.

I've tried being nice and helping. I get no response. I lash out and question their tactics, I get responses, but they basically say they are tired of being attacked. They point out that the threads are user forums and not an official line of support - yet they've stated that there are times when tech support can't help they file it up through corporate, and you never hear from either again. They even state, regardless of how it's interpreted, that supporting users is a game to them.

I'm not sure what to do anymore. I paid $300 for this router before I found this site. Had I seen this site first, I would have stayed far away from this router. In fact, I bought an Apple Airport Extreme Dual-Band so that I could have something working. I can't believe how well this router works. I have stable wireless connections, and a lot more features to boot. The only thing it doesn't have is an SPI firewall, and I'm not sure how much security those provide - that's why I still have the buggy DIR-855 on my network.

Anybody else have this kind of experience with D-Link? If you did, did you ever get it resolved, and how?

join the club of dissatisfied wireless router owners. Its a big club and growing.

Try calling Dlink USA corporate office and ask for the President's office or escalation team. Be polite and maybe you'll get somewhere. Alternatively, call the office in Taiwan, speak softly, politely, and slowly and ask for someone who speaks English. Tell them your problem and ask for assistance. They will likely refer you back to Dlink USA, but will probably get you to a higher level support person.

About 5 years ago I bought a Netgear FWAG114 and it was a piece of junk out of the box. After fighting with their useless support for weeks I called Netgear Taiwan and they had the FWAG114 product manager call me directly. Not only was my issue resolved in about 1 month, they also put me on their beta test for the FWAG for the rest of its life. It sits here now, half dead, waiting a proper burial...

Just realize that their is not a consumer grade wifi router that doesn't have issues. Even the $800+ Cisco AP's have issues. We may one day see wireless sustain a higher reliability than it currently does, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that anytime soon.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!