What's new

D-Link vs Netgear

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

holty

Occasional Visitor
Hi Everyone,

Yes, once again a new forum member asking for help deciding what to purchase. I've narrowed it down to D-Link DIR-825 or the Netgear WNR3500. Which one would work best for me?

I NEED:

Firewall with SPI, NAT, Denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
Intrusion detection and prevention (IDS)
Gigibit LAN at least 4 ports
2.4GHz/5GHz
VPN pass-through
WPA2
RELIABLE wireless signal in a 2000 sq ft home
FAST wireless speed

I plan to purchase whatever wireless adapter goes best with the router.

Current hardware:

D-Link DNS-323 NAS device for storage/backup and use of the FTP function
Dell XPS computer for internet surfing and video/digital camera/camcorder
Dell D620 laptop
Network printer
IP phone
second laptop coming soon
second NAS coming soon

I'm open to suggestions, i want something that has a strong firewall, is fast, configurable, and stable. What i DON"T KNOW is do i need or want dual band? If so, do i want simultaneous dual band?

I'm not sure on the Netgear model you chose...But..

I am way down on D-Link and very Up on Netgear at the moment. See my thread on the Netgear SRXN3205 in this forum.

Basically the D-Links are plagued with firmware issues. See D-links forum forum.dlink.com

I had the DGL-4500 and it was NOTHING but Problems. Just a horrible router. I replaced it with the STXN3205 and could not be happier with it's features and performance. Plus, the netgear service i got was outstanding. (this is rare with any co. these days so I may have just got lucky)

Check out netgears forums too, the manufacturers forums are always a good way to see what issues you maybe buying into.

Hope you find the right router for your needs.

Thank you for the reply iconeater. I noticed your posts in another thread about how you have been happy with your Netgear router. I appreciate your input.

Just curious, about your router, is it made to be rack mounted? Why are the ports for the cabling in the front instead of the back?

The best-performing dual-band draft 11n router I have found so far is the Cisco / Linksys WRT400N.

The best-performing dual-band draft 11n router I have found so far is the Cisco / Linksys WRT400N.

But no gigibit ethernet correct? I really need that feature.

I guess just go with the Linksys WRT610N?

I also noticed that none of the linksys routers have (DoS) attack prevention or Intrusion detection and prevention (IDS)

But no gigibit ethernet correct? I really need that feature.

I guess just go with the Linksys WRT610N?
There's about a $35 price difference between the two right now. You could pick up a 5 port gigabit switch for that and break even.

I also noticed that none of the linksys routers have (DoS) attack prevention or Intrusion detection and prevention (IDS)
In consumer routers, these are just marketing features intended to make you think you're getting more security.

A DoS attack floods the connection from your ISP to the router. There is nothing the router can do about that. Its basic NAT firewall keeps inbound traffic out anyway. "DoS attack prevention" only matters if you are forwarding ports, to keep a flood of packets from reaching the LAN server.

True IDS doesn't come cheap and requires high-end gear. I have yet to see any consumer router (wireless or wired) that detects wireless intruders.

Alright, so it has been brought to my attention there is a better way to acomplish the things i want and need. It was suggested that i purchase a seperate Firewall, gigabit swtich, and wireless AP. This would be ok with me, and i've found what a combo that really appeals to me:

PROSAFE® 8-PORT GIGABIT VPN FIREWALL
FVS318G
http://www.netgear.com/Products/VPNandSSL/WiredVPNFirewallRouters/FVS318G.aspx

PROSAFE WIRELESS-N ACCESS POINT
WNAP210
http://www.netgear.com/Products/APsWirelessControllers/AccessPoints/WNAP210.aspx

BUT the FVS318G is not available yet!!!!!!!!!!! UGGGGHHH!

any suggestions on going this route?

You are wasting your money with this approach. Just because a product has "firewall" in its name, it doesn't mean that you are getting any more protection.

Why are you requiring DoS attack protection and IDS?

You are wasting your money with this approach. Just because a product has "firewall" in its name, it doesn't mean that you are getting any more protection.

Why are you requiring DoS attack protection and IDS?

Ok, i didn't realize that. I assumed that your normal use wireless router did not have "the best" firewall only minimal.

I'm requiring it because some models have it and some don't and i want to make sure that i'm protected from these threats even if its minimal protection.

A NAT firewall, which all consumer routers have, provides the bulk of your protection. SPI provides a bit more benefit only if you are forwarding ports. But the real things that can screw you up like viruses, worms, Trojans, won't be detected at all by any consumer router's firewall. This requires "deep packet inspection" (DPI) that is found only in enterprise level routers / firewalls.

A NAT firewall, which all consumer routers have, provides the bulk of your protection. SPI provides a bit more benefit only if you are forwarding ports. But the real things that can screw you up like viruses, worms, Trojans, won't be detected at all by any consumer router's firewall. This requires "deep packet inspection" (DPI) that is found only in enterprise level routers / firewalls.

Alright, thats good to know as i was assuming things that were incorrect.

Now, knowing what my needs are, what would you recommend for me other than the Linksys/Cisco product you mentioned above?

Thank you for the reply iconeater. I noticed your posts in another thread about how you have been happy with your Netgear router. I appreciate your input.

Just curious, about your router, is it made to be rack mounted? Why are the ports for the cabling in the front instead of the back?

It is mountable yes.

I just gave up and pre ordered the Netgear WNDR3700 this morning. It has everything that i wanted in a router. I hope i'm not disapointed.

True, but you can get mounting brackets to fit it.

I guess I should have been more clear. Sorry.

you can? would be news to me :) my srxn3205 doesnt have holes for screws for any kind of bracket, so how would you mount the brackets onto the router?
it wouldnt make sense anyway to mount a wireless router into a rack.. it completely destroys the wireless reception because of the metal rack and the inability to put the antennas into their correct position for good reception.

to my knowledge, the only rackmountable router from netgear today is the fvx538 which has the respective mountingbrackets and screwes already in the package.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!