What's new

Daisy Chaining WAP's not Working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jogl

Occasional Visitor
I can't get this to work for some reason:

DSL--Modem--AC68U router--24portswitch--EngeniusAP-(wireless bridge)-EngeniusClientBridge--NetgearWAP--DLinkWAP

(-- represents a wired connection.)

Everything works fine except the DLinkWAP. If I plug a computer into the cable going from NetgearWAP to DLinkWAP all works fine. ie.:

DSL--Modem--AC68U router--24portswitch--EngeniusAP-(wireless bridge)-EngeniusClientBridge--NetgearWAP--Computer

Is it not possible to wire another WAP to an existing one? Any other reason it wouldn't work?

Thanks.

P.S.: The reason for this topology is mainly because of fairly long distances between buildings.

What model NETGEAR AP? Is the D-LINK AP getting proper IP settings?

Oops, I gave some bad information. What I called the Netgear is actually a Dlink WBR-1310. The one that I'm trying to hook on the end is a Dlink DI-614+.

I think that it is getting proper IP settings, its IP and MAC show up on the router client list.

P.S.: I have been switching them around trying to get it working (same results) and forgot just where I left it.

Since you are using routers converted to APs, make sure there is only ONE DHCP server active. Also make sure all APs have different IP addresses.

What test are you doing to determine whether the wireless connection works?

Are you sure that you are connected to the AP you think you are connected to?

Only one DHCP server for sure.

Pretty sure all AP's have unique and static IP's. (That is one of the things that I have been straightening out).

I cannot connect to the end of the line AP wireless or wired. Testing with a laptop. If I take the ethernet cable out of the end of the line AP and plug it into the laptop it works fine.

I have tried a few different routers set up as AP's and still no go. I suspect that the problem is I'm too deep in switches and distances.

I am wondering if I created a VLAN after the Engenius bridge would that be better? This leg of the LAN does not need to be fast and has very little traffic so those are not concerns. Long term (when it is warmer out) I intend to set up another client bridge over there but that will take a little more time.

If a VLAN will work what is an inexpensive device that I could use short term?

Thanks.

I cannot connect to the end of the line AP wireless or wired. Testing with a laptop. If I take the ethernet cable out of the end of the line AP and plug it into the laptop it works fine.
Did you try pinging between devices at both ends of the connection FROM BOTH ENDS, i.e. ping from device connected to AC68U to far end AP, then vice-versa.

Did you manually convert both routers to APs or are you using a built-in AP function?

When you connect via Ethernet to the far-end AP, does the laptop get a DHCP lease? If it doesn't, will it work if you set it with a static IP?

VLANs will only complicate the situation.

You could have a problem at the MAC address level. I've seen bridges in the past that won't forward multiple MAC addresses.

Try this: plug a switch into the far-end EnGenius client bridge (you can use one of the converted router APs). Then plug more than one device into the switch and see if both work.

Did you try pinging between devices at both ends of the connection FROM BOTH ENDS, i.e. ping from device connected to AC68U to far end AP, then vice-versa.

I have tried pinging the far end AP. Nothing. Cannot ping from the far end AP.

Did you manually convert both routers to APs or are you using a built-in AP function?

Using the browser interface I set them up as AP's, ie., turned off the DHCP server function and gave them static IP's outside of the DHCP range.

When you connect via Ethernet to the far-end AP, does the laptop get a DHCP lease? If it doesn't, will it work if you set it with a static IP?

If I take the RJ45 out of the far end AP and plug it into my lappy the lappy gets a DHCP lease and works normally.

Try this: plug a switch into the far-end EnGenius client bridge (you can use one of the converted router APs). Then plug more than one device into the switch and see if both work.

There is a switch plugged into the client bridge with a couple of wired devices on. Seems to work normal. Also, that switch is a wireless AP and that functionality seems to be normal. One other thing that I noticed is if I have the far end AP (the second one after the client bridge) hooked up for a while the lights start flashing like there is a lot of traffic between the two switch/AP's.

What settings on my devices could cause MAC address problems?

Thanks again,
JP.

One other thing that I noticed is if I have the far end AP (the second one after the client bridge) hooked up for a while the lights start flashing like there is a lot of traffic between the two switch/AP's.
Bingo. The flashing lights indicate you have a broadcast loop. Somehow the two APs have a wired AND wireless link.
Shut off the radio on that last AP and see if the flashing stops and you can connect via Ethernet.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!