What's new

Dead RT-N16U ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rahuljawale

Occasional Visitor
I just got one ASUS RT-N16U from my relative which appears to be dead. I first tried by changing Power Adapter but no luck.

Then plugging the router into a new Power Adapter saw LAN3, LAN4 and WAN lights blink once upon inserting the cable. But that's it.

I opened the router and found a bunch of dead insects and beetles. So I probably think they might have died by electrocution or might just be the cause for dead router. But I did not observe any burn marks.

So this is the dead end. The router is out of warranty and I don't think ASUS entertains paid/unpaid repairs of their routers. AFAIK they only replace the units with new/refurbished ones.

So experts, has anybody seen such behavior ? Is there any other way to bring the router back to life?

The most common point of failure for these RT-N16 is a bad capacitor that eventually leaks/blow. Look for any visually damaged cap, and if you feel like it try replacing it.

Dunno what's with those RT-N16 becoming bug graveyards tho. A user donated me his old RT-N16 a year or two ago, and when it eventually died I opened it, and also found a bunch of dead bugs in it.

After almost 4 years of use my RT-N16 never had a problem, but i also have found a green spider living inside when i open it, the case concept is very atractive to bugs, spiders and others to get in, theres too many holes on it.

Replace it with RT-N18, its a cheap router (if you are not on US) and alot better.

The reason that I'm on this forum is because I bought one of the TMobile routers (TM-AC1900) and started looking at the RT-AC68U stuff. What got me to buy the TM-AC1900 is that my 4 year old RT-N16 died. It goes to recovery mode and no amount of flashing will get it out. Even using RS232 command module stuff and monitoring, it just won't flash (locks up during flash most of the time). I suspect that a flash chip has died.

On a side note, yes there was a spider web inside mine and it was surprisingly full of bugs under the circuit board! :p

It seems RT-N16 is a bug magnet :)

I must ask, what if the router dies with bugs, spiders or other weird animal (lol) inside on warranty period?

Asus opens the router and see inside a zoo, now what? ROTFL

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!