What's new

Deciding between Tmobile ASUS 68u and Linksys e8400

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nadir m

New Around Here
Hi everyone, I wanted some help from all the knowledgable folks on this forum.
I currently have 3 linksys wrt610n routers, one main and 2 set up as extenders on dd wrt. The house is large and old with brick and conrete walls. Wa sthinking of upgrading to mesh but that stuff is expensive. I have the option for the asus ac68u (the Tmobile version), and the linksys e8400 (ac2400, cant find many reviews, no critical acclaim as such, but faster processor and memory etc, released in 2016 i believe).

I dont care between ac1900 vs ac2400, i jsut want a stable network with good range that can penetrate my walls.

I'm thinking of replacing the 3 network setup with 2 of the new ones i decide on.
I can get both routers for 60-70$ a piece.

So a few questions:

1) would the newer routers be an improvemnt over the wrt610n in terms of range and stability?

2)between the linksys and asus, which one would be better? Asus ac68u was one of the best routers of the time while the Linksys doesn’t get many mentions but is newer and faster.

3) I can get up to 10-15 clients at a time sometimes on my WiFi network. 2 WiFi walls plugs, 3 echos, 2 fire tv’s, 4-5 iPhones, 2-3 laptops, maybe an iPad or two thrown in the mix. Ofcourse the iphones are persistent connections while firetv’s are not used too often. In this situation do I even need to upgrade from the Linksys 610n’s? My main dsl connection is only 8 mbps so the router will not be a bottleneck for that.

I'd skip the E8400 with its Quantenna radios and go with the popular AC68U. Definitely an improvement over the WRT610N mostly thanks to the AC upgrade from N.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!