What's new

Dedicated VPN port setup for using with Raspberry PI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pez

New Around Here
Hi all, I’m hoping someone will be able to give a so straight instructions and answers to my questions.

Before I begin however I just want to apologies for how my post may come across, I don’t mean for it to sound derogatory or demanding, I appreciate anyone who takes the time to contribute to this thread. My purpose for writing it this way is so I could get clear answers to the questions because from what I’ve seen there are lot of misleading threads on this matter. Also I can’t be the only person who would benefit from clear and accurate responses. I’ve been an IT professional for almost 17 years and even I find some on the terminology confusing and contradicting myself at times.

There seems to be a lot of scattered information regarding theses subjects on the web, with most of it conflicting (depending who you ask).

I’ll start with my setup, what I want to achieve and then my questions…. Or if’s it’s at all possible with my current setup.

My Setup:

I have a Raspberry PI running XBMC that’s connected to me TV. The PI then connects to and Asus RT-AC68U via Ethernet running the latest version of Asuswrt-Merlin (376.48). From there the Asus connects to a VDSL modem and out to the internet.

I have no problems connecting to the internet from my PI as it stands or any other device, everything is working how you’d expect it to with this setup.

What I Want to Achieve:

1) I want to setup my Asus RT-AC68U to connect out using PIA (Private Internet Access) VPN through the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware installed (through the GUI)

2) I then what to restrict a single port on the ASUS RT-AC68U to use that VPN connection, the rest I want to go out to the internet as normal. So let’s say Port 1,2,3 and all WiFi devices connect directly out to the internet and Port 4 on the Asus router is tagged to the VPN.

3) I then want to connect the Raspberry PI to that port (Port 4) connected to the VPN so I am able to use features restricted by my geo location (UK)

So my questions:

1) Can someone provide me with a step-by-step guide on how to setup PIA on the Asus RT-AC68U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware?

There are a number of different guide out there (some on this site) explaining how to do the above….. all are slightly different, 99% of them don’t work. I found one site then now allows me to switch the VPN on but then I doesn’t seem to pass any data through it, nether do any of my devices or Router then seem to be hidden behind the VPN.

2) Is it even possible to tag a single port to use the VPN on the Asus RT-AC68U running the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, or do I need to use a different custom firmware?
If so, what are the flashing instructions for that firmware on an Asus RT-AC68U and then instructions to setup PIA again?

3) Is all of this pointless and is much easier done directly from the Raspberry PI itself. Can I have XBMC connect though PIA VPN directly from the PI to bypass geo restrictions.

I’m not keen on using the proxy route to achieve what I’m asking, however if this is the easiest option for what I’m want then please let me know. If the PIA proxy is the only option then could someone tell me how I’d go about setting this up to achieve what I’m asking using my current setup?

I hope that all makes sense :) . If you have any questions about the above then please feel free to come back to me.
Hopefully someone can cure many sleepless nights I’ve had trying to rack my brain with these problems.

Regards,

I don't do it but it seems many do use an OpenVPN add on with OpenELEC on the Pi: "http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-pi/71501-vpn-option-in-openelec-4-0-4"

What you want to do is clear enough, but is there a particular reason that you want to do this using LAN ports instead of assigning devices static IP and then routing based on IPs using iptables?

If you can accomplish what you want by using selective routing then that "wheel" has been invented and is well documented on this site.

What you want to do is clear enough, but is there a particular reason that you want to do this using LAN ports instead of assigning devices static IP and then routing based on IPs using iptables?

If you can accomplish what you want by using selective routing then that "wheel" has been invented and is well documented on this site.

Hi Captain,

It sounds like I could be over complicating things if it can be done using IP routing.

So I guess my question now is, would anyone know if it's possible to route VPN traffic to a specified IP using the Merlin firmware :)

Thanks for you're advice.

Yes. look for a thread called selective routing.
If you find it too complicated let me know and I will guide you in the setup.