What's new

Degraded internet performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fizikz

Regular Contributor
Sometimes, the internet performance drops to about half of the 6Mbps connecton I have, and web pages load sluggishly. I don't think it's a problem with the internet connection, since a reboot of the router fixes the problem. I have noticed this degradation on both wireless and wired clients.

The router is an Engenius ESR 9850. Generally it works quite well, and often works for weeks or a couple of months without degradation. Sometimes, though, it will get this issue within a few days of having been rebooted. In other words, it seems random or intermittent.

Are there any ideas why this could be happening or what I should look for?

Look on the client and see, when slow, if it has dropped to a low WiFi bit rate. If yes, we have to help you decide if this is the client at fault (try other clients), the WiFi router, RF path blockage, or ....

It could also be a neighbor using too much air time on or near (within +/- 3 channels) on the channel your WiFi router is configured to use. Change to 1, 6 or 11 to prove.

It happens to wired as well as wireless clients. It is not unique to any one client either. I can check the WiFi bit rate the next time it happens, but off the top of my head, the WiFi strength was not any different than usual.

OK, if the problem arises with wired to router clients, then we ignore WiFi for the moment.

Now we have to fault-isolate between your router and your ISP's modem. Are they one box? or do you have your own router?

If 2 boxes, you can connect a PC directly to your ISP's modem, bypassing the router, and see if speeds improve, due to a faulty router. If not, it's the ISP's problem to cure (assuming you didn't purchase a modem).

I have a DSL modem and a stand-alone router. I can try connecting directly to the modem next time, but in the past, rebooting the router was sufficient to fix the problem. That's why I suspect something with the router itself.

Are there any router settings that could cause or prevent this issue?

Hi,
Does the problem occur random regardless of time of the day? Usually things slow down when traffic is heavy. When it acts up you can run speed test and see if it shows anything. When you reboot, do you get different IP from ISP?

I have a DSL modem and a stand-alone router. I can try connecting directly to the modem next time, but in the past, rebooting the router was sufficient to fix the problem. That's why I suspect something with the router itself.

Are there any router settings that could cause or prevent this issue?

Time to upgrade from ESR9850 to ESR600H much more powerful than the older one. Have this one for long time now..

I use own two of ESR9850 and both have gone DUFF on both WAN ports (bad) Your starting to see the router degrading on you.

Last edited:
Hi,
Does the problem occur random regardless of time of the day? Usually things slow down when traffic is heavy. When it acts up you can run speed test and see if it shows anything. When you reboot, do you get different IP from ISP?

Off the top of my head, I'd say it was at different times of the day, at least it also happened at non-peak hours. I rebooted the router, not the modem, so the IP should have been the same.

Time to upgrade from ESR9850 to ESR600H much more powerful than the older one. Have this one for long time now..

I use own two of ESR9850 and both have gone DUFF on both WAN ports (bad) Your starting to see the router degrading on you.

How did you determine that the WAN ports were faulty? It's been working fine except for this occasional degradation, which I think was there since I first got it. Since it doesn't happen frequently, it's hard to do tests to figure out the cause.

I really hope the hardware isn't dying. I don't see any other instabilities. I got this router to have a solid plug-and-forget network device.

Off the top of my head, I'd say it was at different times of the day, at least it also happened at non-peak hours. I rebooted the router, not the modem, so the IP should have been the same.

How did you determine that the WAN ports were faulty? It's been working fine except for this occasional degradation, which I think was there since I first got it. Since it doesn't happen frequently, it's hard to do tests to figure out the cause.

I really hope the hardware isn't dying. I don't see any other instabilities. I got this router to have a solid plug-and-forget network device.

Oh you just go it? There are test you can do these are free online or download some apps. Have you measure your download and uploads speeds to match what your paying for from the ISP? Do you get a burst load higher than the read out normally lower than the burst rate. But your on ADSL right? Do you have the latest filters for your home phone system. One bad filter can cause issues on the internet.

I do speedtests to measure the latency, download and upload bandwidths, and they match my ISP's profile when everything is functioning normally. Yes, I'm on ADSL and the filtering has been checked and is not an issue. I was wondering if you had a direct way of diagnosing the WAN port, since you mentioned problems with it.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!