What's new

Desktop closest to router has slowest speed test

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maine Mare

New Around Here
Newbie question - are some wireless LAN cards just not good enough to pickup a strong signal?

I've just setup an ASUS RT-AC66 router and getting a good 2.4GHz signal on several devices except on the HP-P6774 Desktop that's a foot from the router.

Here's some speed test results:

Desktop beside router-wireless: download=14Mbps up=12Mbps
Desktop beside router-wired: download=58 up=12
Laptop one floor below-wireless: download=48 up=12

The 2.4 network is set to N-only, WMM disabled.The desktop has an 802.11n Wireless Lan Card and a Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter (if that's relevant).

Newbie question - are some wireless LAN cards just not good enough to pickup a strong signal?

I've just setup an ASUS RT-AC66 router and getting a good 2.4GHz signal on several devices except on the HP-P6774 Desktop that's a foot from the router.

Here's some speed test results:

Desktop beside router-wireless: download=14Mbps up=12Mbps
Desktop beside router-wired: download=58 up=12
Laptop one floor below-wireless: download=48 up=12

The 2.4 network is set to N-only, WMM disabled.The desktop has an 802.11n Wireless Lan Card and a Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter (if that's relevant).

Make sure it's at least 18 inches away. Update the driver on your wireless card, then follow steps in link.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=12453

often, a desktop tower PC with a WiFi "card" (PCI slot) has a big antenna disadvantage due to the antennas being on the card edge. Then the tower can get stuffed into a cranny or bad spot in terms on blockages for RF.

A USB WiFi adapter can often do better (counter-intuitive).
Best is use of a WiFi bridge (a.k.a. game adapter) that is well-placed and connects to PC via 6 ft. ethernet cable.

Steve,

You might have a point with the WiFi card antenna - somewhat. I've done all the recommendations that jlake recommended (including the link) except reset the router. Hoping that the antenna on the LAN card is the issue, I pulled the desktop out from beside my desk facing it forward and pointed all 3 router antennas directly at it from 6 feet away - got a speed of 17Mbps. Then I turned the desktop completely around so the back with all the cords was facing front - got a speed of 6Mbps.

However, since my laptop's speed is 48Mbps when sitting beside my desktop, something is up with the desktop - obviously. Being new to all of this, I really hate to reset that router since it's so much better than my old Linksys!

Thanks for the feedback!

yeah, try with the default router settings after the factory reset.

I'm not sure why you disabled WMM.

And you'll need to remove the wireless profile again after you reset to factory defaults.

Hi,
Too bad you did not check signal strength when you were experimenting with router /antenna position.

I reset my router and left all the default settings for 2.4 except set the mode to N Only (since I don't have any old devices), channel bandwidth to 20/40 (20 gave terrible speed tests), control channel to 6L based on inSSIDer.

Results: Speed tests on desktop in office with router are still slow - between 7-12Mbps for downloads. However, speed tests throughout the house varying widely today on laptop - download speeds from 7 to 45 from the same location. This must be normal based on interference, right?

Thanks for all the input. The desktop speed is fine for what I use it for and my inquiry was only because I was curious.

Just read a good explanation of why the 2.4 band should be set to 20MHz so forget my comment about 20/40 setting was better - must have been just a fluke speed test.

One of the steps that I neglected, but was pointed out by another forum member in that linked thread was to experiment with router location.

Also, check user guide for recommended antenna position/orientation.

The biggest advantage to the router, imo, is the good 5 Ghz radio. You can always update to 5 Ghz card or adapter down the road on your PCs for pretty cheap.

It just occured to me that within 18" from router is what I'd definitely call a great ethernet prospect. Should be much less troubleshooting and tests involved too, and I guarantee you 1Gb up and down. ;)

Thanks for the info. I'm moving on to test streaming to my Samsung TV on the 5GHz band which is the only reason I got a new router...wish me luck!!

Thanks for the info. I'm moving on to test streaming to my Samsung TV on the 5GHz band which is the only reason I got a new router...wish me luck!!

Unless you live in a super dense wifi area (apartment building or similar) don't be afraid to try 40mhz channels on 2.4ghz.

Sounds like you're getting in a pattern of recording measurements before & after each thing you tweak which is great, I'd also encourage you to go into your router and look at the wifi connection page and hit refresh and check there for the speed your devices are connected.

A Netflix "super HD" stream only needs about 7MB/s of bandwidth.

On the RT-AC66 what menu shows device connection speed? Under General/Network tab I see all my devices but no connection speed is showing - only MAC address. Under Advanced/Wireless I only see the 2.4 and 5 band details.

On the RT-AC66 what menu shows device connection speed? Under General/Network tab I see all my devices but no connection speed is showing - only MAC address. Under Advanced/Wireless I only see the 2.4 and 5 band details.

Do you have this page http://192.168.1.1/Main_WStatus_Content.asp

that looks like this?

aRy0zYH.jpg

You have to hit refresh a couple times to get it "live"ish, and I believe when there is a xxx/1 that just means the device isn't uploading anything at the moment, only (or mostly) taking data down.

Yes, I have this page with the Stations List showing the Mac Address of each device by network. However, right after the address it says "associated authorized'. None of the fields to the right in your example even have a column label - Rx/Tx, Speed, etc. Nothing on that side of the report - blank. I have some devices active, but nothing showing for those speed columns. ??

Yes, I have this page with the Stations List showing the Mac Address of each device by network. However, right after the address it says "associated authorized'. None of the fields to the right in your example even have a column label - Rx/Tx, Speed, etc. Nothing on that side of the report - blank. I have some devices active, but nothing showing for those speed columns. ??

Ok, well, maybe there are differences in our f/ws, so nevermind that. No prob. Have you measured RSSI or connection speed from any of your devices/NICs? You're using Win7 or 8, right? I was just curious where you are getting these #s from. My only Win machine right now is a desktop and doesn't have a wifi so I'm just going off memory.

Can you right click on your network connections and get a window like this? With maybe even more info under "Details"?

5GTEMCl.png

Anything that close I would run wired. It would be one less device competing for bandwidth on the wireless network. I would in fact connect all devices in that room with wire. Save your wireless bandwidth for your mobile devices and devices which you cannot reach with wire easily.

Anything that close I would run wired. It would be one less device competing for bandwidth on the wireless network. I would in fact connect all devices in that room with wire. Save your wireless bandwidth for your mobile devices and devices which you cannot reach with wire easily.

Ya, like I mentioned earlier, 18" definitely puts you squarely in an "ethernet hotspot" zone. :)

Probably running two wifi radios literally that close to each other is less than ideal (especially when one is 100mw-ish+). Also you could make popcorn spontaneously pop by hitting it on both sides with 5ghz. ;) I kid, I kid. . .

But everything big transfer wise, or video or music, in my home goes over ethernet or, less preferably, generally close range 5ghz media hub (routers just have way better radios that give me stronger connection than a handful of CE devices with built in wifi ever could). And I use 2.4ghz in 40mhz channel mode for all kind of regular walking around wifi (laptops, tablets, etc).

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!