What's new

Development update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Staff member
Now that I have two weeks off from work, I can spend more time digging through the code to look into some of the harder-to-track issues.

- So far I have been unable to figure out why some devices do not show up on the initial client scan. However, the issue seem to be a timing-related one, since one tester reported good results so far by having the initial network mapping delayed by 30 seconds at boot time. I also relaxed various other timings inside the networkmap process to improve reliability.

- Looking at the endless-spinning issue, I'm starting to suspect the issue lies at the webui level rather than the networkmap service level, since the scan flag does get cleared in nvram (indicating that networkmap has finished its job), but the webui does not pick up the cleared flag. I have one person able to reproduce that issue that will help me dig through an actual case, since so far I am still unable to reproduce it on my end. I have a feeling this is related to the hostname lookup code.

- With all that digging through the networkmap code, I ended up uncovering and fixing a few other issues that hadn't been reported yet. For example, Asus's DLNA scan code was half broken - and when it was working, it could delay the scan by as long as two minute per device as it was trying to connect to an incorrect IP.

- Next build will introduce a new type of user scripts, called postconf scripts. Essentially, those scripts are run after the router has dynamically generated a config file (for example, dnsmasq.conf), and before the service gets started. This will allow advanced user to do all kind of manipulations on the generated config file through shell utilities such as sed. A basic example would be replacing a line in the generated config file with another line.

- For the time being I am still working with GPL code 339, as I haven't received anything newer from Asus. I will see if I can get my hands on newer code during the Holidays, but I don't know if that will be possible with people being out of the office during that period. We'll see.

The current plan is to have a beta build released in the coming days, mostly to gather feedback on the tweaked networkmap. That will have to wait until I get the chance to spend more time looking at the endless spinning issue.

The focus of that build will be bugfixing. Once out of the door, next release will most likely be focusing on integrating the next GPL code from Asus once it's available.

would you be kind enough to take a look at the reboot issue with the RT-AC66U please ?

maybe RMerlin knows what you're talking about, but I have an AC66U
and have not had any reboot issues

if you could be more discript, it would probably be good, so we can know what the problem is

Same for me never had reboot issue.
@Merlin for "endless-spinning issue" on my lan the spinning stay running for a long time but it stop after collecting all the hostname.
The only error I can see is a duplicated entry for my new synology 713 , it show as a network disk and as a client, different icons but same address and information ??

Happy Holidays to all
:)

Hello RMerlin...

Is it possible to include LTE/4G high speed support with cdc_ncm and rndis ? (Huawei E3276 non-hilink uses these drivers)

Reference Shibby Tomato firmware. (linksysinfo forum)

I should be glad if it works as with Shibbys firmware with a manual script.

Thanks!

Hey there

is'nt it an idea to get the usb to also work with not only printers but also multimedia scanners/printers ?? :)

Gedesby

Same for me never had reboot issue.
@Merlin for "endless-spinning issue" on my lan the spinning stay running for a long time but it stop after collecting all the hostname.

This is normal behaviour. The next release might make it a bit faster if you were affected by the DLNA scanning bug.

The only error I can see is a duplicated entry for my new synology 713 , it show as a network disk and as a client, different icons but same address and information ??

Where are you seeing this? Are the two IPs and MACs different?

Hello RMerlin...

Is it possible to include LTE/4G high speed support with cdc_ncm and rndis ? (Huawei E3276 non-hilink uses these drivers)

Reference Shibby Tomato firmware. (linksysinfo forum)

I should be glad if it works as with Shibbys firmware with a manual script.

I don't want to play with the 3G/4G support as I have no way of testing anything there. Sorry.

Hey there

is'nt it an idea to get the usb to also work with not only printers but also multimedia scanners/printers ?? :)

Not really possible, as every manufacturer uses its own proprietary protocol there.

One other thing I'll be doing with the next build is downgrade rp-pppoe from 3.11 to 3.10, to see if it can help those who have connectivity issues with their PPPoE service. I would still be surprised that 3.10 would work better than 3.11 there since the RP-PPPOE author had years since the 3.11 release to gather feedback and fix any potential regression there, but who knows.

would you be kind enough to take a look at the reboot issue with the RT-AC66U please ?

I have zero control over the closed source HW acceleration module.

awesome, I can't wait. also, it may be related, but your traffic monitor add now displays almost no static names, but they used to. it is almost all Ips and quite a few of those in parens. as always thanks for everything you do. without you we would be stuck with a lot of the bugs probably forever.

i understand but based on the AC68U seems that there are fine tuning to the CTF settings . hope that it can put into the AC66U

CTF is actually a binary-only module provided by Broadcom. The RT-AC66U and RT-AC68U use different CPU architecture, the binary files aren't interchangeable between the two of them. There's nothing that can be done until Asus provides a firmware for the RT-AC66U with an updated ctf.ko file that is specific to that model.

awesome, I can't wait. also, it may be related, but your traffic monitor add now displays almost no static names, but they used to. it is almost all Ips and quite a few of those in parens. as always thanks for everything you do. without you we would be stuck with a lot of the bugs probably forever.

Are you supplying the names through the DHCP reservation page, or relying strictly on the client devices providing their own hostnames?

is there any way to add a 3g/4g script that takes an ip address from the the 3g device huawei 3236 as they do work as a mini router giving an IP through the usb port...

thank you

Hi Rmerlin,

Can you add the following line to the lighttpd.conf

server.reject-expect-100-with-417 = "disable"

Works better with WebDAV apps.

Also minor bug found that seems to be in stock firmware now is that when you use a custom port for AiCloud it doesn't use that in the shared link manager.
It uses the default from there without the custom port number.

Cheers!

Where are you seeing this? Are the two IPs and MACs different?
The Synology has 2 NIC but I see duplicated entries on the list , like:
192.168.2.2 with hostname "nas713" and icon like network-harddisk
192.168.2.2 with hostname "nas713" and icon like user
192.168.2.254 with hostname "NAS713" and icon like network-harddisk
192.168.2.254 with hostname "NAS713" and icon like user

if I enable the link-aggregation ( I get the error so it use 1 nic as backup )all goes normal and I see only 1 entry
192.168.2.254 with hostname "nas713" and icon like network-harddisk

Is not a problem don't get me wrong, is more cosmetic as all works fine but it my help you debuggin :)

Feature feedback

Hi Merlin,

thanks for your update. I really love your work on the Asus routers!

I do have 2 (old) feature request and hopefully it is not too much work to make them happen. Thank you VERY VERY much in advance!

- Please disable Dual WAN, i do have a lot of problems and the 3g failover is not working anymore (only sometimes, many problems)
Please revert back to the regular 3G/4G USB failover code - if possible!
- I highle appreciate that you still support the old sdk5 drivers for the RT-N66U. Would be nice if you still support them in future! Thank you!!

Your work is incredible!

cheers from germany